• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Remove pic from online newspaper

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jochedra

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

Hello. Don't know if I'm posting in the right place. Long story short, I got married in 2008. We had a picture printed out in a local newspaper to let everyone know of hour wedding. Things didn't work out and we got divorced. Now I have a new partner and one week ago she saw that the newspaper published the picture in their online edition as well. She was very upset when she saw a pic of my first wedding. Understandable. I didn't know they even put it online. The pic is accessible through a simple google search by typing my name. I never authorized this. I called the webmaster for the newspaper and she told me her policy was to not remove any pictures from their archives. I explained that it was causing troubles in my current relationship and she still said no.

What can I do?? Do I have a case?? I need this pic removed.

Please help!!!

tranquility

You almost assuredly gave them the rights to do with what they want with the picture when you gave it to them. But, if you didn't, you'd need an attorney and you would have to sue in other than small claims court if you want an injunction for them to remove it. (Assuming they don't have the rights to the picture.)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

Hello. Don't know if I'm posting in the right place. Long story short, I got married in 2008. We had a picture printed out in a local newspaper to let everyone know of hour wedding. Things didn't work out and we got divorced. Now I have a new partner and one week ago she saw that the newspaper published the picture in their online edition as well. She was very upset when she saw a pic of my first wedding. Understandable. I didn't know they even put it online. The pic is accessible through a simple google search by typing my name. I never authorized this. I called the webmaster for the newspaper and she told me her policy was to not remove any pictures from their archives. I explained that it was causing troubles in my current relationship and she still said no.

What can I do?? Do I have a case?? I need this pic removed.

Please help!!!
Are things really so shaky in your current relationship that any reminder that you had a past will cause problems?

Perhaps you ought to rethink this relationship...

xylene

Assuming you are not a lying jerk...

She was very upset when she saw a pic of my first wedding. Understandable.
No it isn't.

Her reaction is not understandable AT all.

And the only explanation is that she is very immature or has an psychological / emotional problem. Or some combo of those three.

You are a divorcee. You can't redact the public record of your marriage.

jochedra

I thought I was in a legal forum...turns out I'm in the "I don't have a life because I'm a looser forum". Mind your own business an if you have nothing important or useful to say, keep it to yourselves.

Thank you to the ones that actually used the forum for the reason it is intended for: LEGAL ADVICE!!!!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I thought I was in a legal forum...turns out I'm in the "I don't have a life because I'm a looser forum". Mind your own business an if you have nothing important or useful to say, keep it to yourselves.

Thank you to the ones that actually used the forum for the reason it is intended for: LEGAL ADVICE!!!!
You got the answers you need. The rest is just valuable life-advice from us looser folks.

swalsh411

You don't get to decide what kind of advice you get from volunteers. If you want only legal advice, pay a lawyer. Around here you get a little life advise on the side whether you want it or not.

Seriously, if her seeing a picture of your first wedding online (which she is free to NOT look at. It's not like you have it up in your house) is causing this much trouble I can only think of three reasons:

1. You lied to her about being married before
2. She is emotionally unstable
3. Your relationship is already seriously on the rocks.

Ladyback1

You gave them permission to publish the picture--you even provided the picture!! You may have even PAID for the picture and announcement to be published.
In this digital age many publications duo-publish.

You were married. It doesn't make a bit of difference if you want to wipe out evidence of that--unless you were "eligible" for an annulment the marriage and divorce actually DID happen.

You do not have a case.
(and for what it's worth? You got bigger issues with your current significant other if she gets all worked up over the past)

Proserpina

You don't get to decide what kind of advice you get from volunteers. If you want only legal advice, pay a lawyer. Around here you get a little life advise on the side whether you want it or not.

Seriously, if her seeing a picture of your first wedding online (which she is free to NOT look at. It's not like you have it up in your house) is causing this much trouble I can only think of three reasons:

1. You lied to her about being married before
2. She is emotionally unstable
3. Your relationship is already seriously on the rocks.

Gotta be one of those.

Gotta be.

That is simply not a rational response.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">