• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Removing PAID Collection

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Silverline

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I have one [1] blemish - physical therapy bill from 12-1-2015 - remaining on my CR that is hurting my FICO score [703]. After requesting / receiving DV from the CA in August of 2016 I sent the CA a check, paying the full balance. Several months later it was still listed as UNPAID by all three CRAs but after using the Credit Karma dispute function it's now listed as PAID. It's my understanding this process does not work to actually get the account removed.

One month ago I sent a GW letter to the CA requesting the account removed from all CRAs. I check my CRs daily on EIDT and it's still being reported [paid]. Rather than wait / be at the mercy of the CA should I send each CRA a DISPUTE LETTER along with a copy of my CR from them that highlights the account in question + copy of my payment?

It's my understanding that if the CA doesn't respond in 30 days it would automatically be removed. Do I just keep doing this hoping they'll slip up? And what exactly is the incentive for the CA to even take the time to reply to the CRA request since they've already received payment in full? TIA

adjusterjack

Don't waste your time.

A "paid" item is a legitimate entry and will not be removed from your credit reports until it drops off naturally at the end of the 7 year period from the default.

It's my understanding that if the CA doesn't respond in 30 days it would automatically be removed. Do I just keep doing this hoping they'll slip up?
Sure, knock yourself out. Keep abusing the system and the credit bureaus may stop asking for verification and just leave the entry alone.

And what exactly is the incentive for the CA to even take the time to reply to the CRA request since they've already received payment in full?
Because they have contracts with the credit bureaus that says they do or they risk losing their contracts. When a CA no longer has access to credit bureaus, it's out of business.

By the way, 703 is in the "good" credit range.

740-799 is in the "very dependable" range. 800 and up is "exceptional."

If you want to improve your score the ways to do it are:

1 - Avoid late pays.

2 - Substantially reduce your credit card balances as your "balance to limit" ratio is a key factor in your credit score.

Silverline

I have a 100% on time payment record and my DTL ratio is 15.5%. Balance is only $2990, with the goal of 8.9% by fall.

What I'm asking for is clarification on what legal avenues are available to address my particular situation.

FlyingRon

A debt verification requiest is largely a wasted effort (especially since you know the debt is yours). As stated, the creditor is the only one who can legitimately remove the debt (prior to the seven year expiry) and they are under no incentive nor obligation to do so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">