• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Renewal question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sungod916

What is the name of your state? CA

Can an apartment complex charge different residents different prices for same apartment?

Example, we're coming off our 6mo lease and they are raising rent. But they clearly advertise something much cheaper than what they are offering us for same lease.

Thanks.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

sungod916 said:

Can an apartment complex charge different residents different prices for same apartment?

Example, we're coming off our 6mo lease and they are raising rent. But they clearly advertise something much cheaper than what they are offering us for same lease.

Thanks.

My response:

Yes. It's called the "free enterprise" system. It's quite capitalistic, isn't it?

IAAL

sungod916

I figured maybe CA had something in the Fair Housing Act.
It seems weird to charge people different prices for the same thing (as far as housing is concerned).

Thanks.

south

Why not when you advertise a unit you can throw all different prices out there if you do not get a bite you lower a bit, I have tenants paying all different amounts for the same size units, and they all rented around the same year.

sungod916 said:

Thanks.

full_o_question

I worked in Property Management for 13 years running upscale Apartments in Atlanta, Ga. Our prices were all over the board. Same floorplan, however, they justified the rates based on location, view, etc. And yes, it made my job a nightmare to send out renewal letters telling current residents that we were having to raise their rent due to our rising costs to keep the property up to high standards.... yet we had signs or banners along the entrance of the property offering FREE RENT or MOVE IN SPECIALS. It was ridiculous. They wanted us to gouge our loyal residents who made timely payments yet we "gave away the farm" to strangers off the street. Unfortunately for the renters, it was legal. Some people just learn the system. From my experience.... if your lease is expiring around the holidays (Nov-Dec months) you are more likely to get a better break. This is the slow season for apartments. The spring and summer months are when everyone is moving. The rates are usually higher. Because renters are making moves. Any apartments that opened up from Sept and later usually sat vacant thru the holidays and they would offer BIG discounts just to fill them up. We would barely raise the rent on renewal expiring in Oct thru Dec for fear of them moving out and adding another vacancy to our list. So... chances are... if your lease expires around Nov or Dec... you are more likely to be treated with more TLC.... at least in Atlanta.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">