• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rental Application

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MA_tenant

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA

I completed a Rental Application through a Broker a few days back and have put a deposit. In the application I have specified a date by which the landlord must act on (there is a column -- Landlord must act by: ) . I have given a date two days from date I applied.
The broker now says that they need more time to complete the process. I cannot afford to wait any more since if this does not work out, I need to find a different place. Can I cancel the application and get the money back?

alex468

Have you ask the broker that question? What did the broker say? Unless the broker is a complete idiot, the answer will be, "Yes, of course," partially because either the broker or the landlord screwed up by not letting you know the facts about the delay when you signed the application but mostly because the landlord and broker don't want a crappy reputation as nasty people who steal little deposits after they missed a deadline. Remember that your huge deposit is probably just tiny little chicken feed to them.

I'm a MA tenant and I remember filling out similar paperwork with a "Landlord Must Act By" statement in a similar situation except that the broker was actually doing his job. He told me at the time I filled out the paperwork that the landlord could not act by the time I needed him to act. But I put the early date in anyway and kept looking for another place that might suit me just as well or better. And the broker and I talked about exactly what I was doing and why I was doing it, and what would happen next and he reassured me that the check would not be deposited until he heard from the landlord, and I reassured him that if I decided on another place I would let him know the very instant it happened. That's called communicating. Try it with the people involved instead of on a legal forum!

I wound up finding a better, cheaper place that I really love. I called the broker, he said congrats, thanks for letting me know, and I assume he tore up my check. Of course, I also canceled it just to be sure...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">