• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Renting to two friends

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I'm a landlord that has received a rental application to two women, friends of each other that are both about 30 years of age. My concern is that one of them may decide to leave before the end of the lease, leaving the other to pay the rent. What are your experiences with this kind of arrangement. Any warnings and helpful advice would be appreciated.

ecmst12

Make sure the lease is clear that they are both jointly and severally liable for the rent for the full term of the lease.

Alaska landlord

I do this all the time; I make sure that each is able to individually be able to pay the rent. They would say that it defeats the purpose, but your concern is not their ability to be able to afford housing. Your concern is that the rent gets paid no matter what happens between them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">