• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Repercussions for not filing W2's?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? SC

What happens if you don't file your W2's?
Friend's ex is on parole & he didn't file them (b/c his refund would be garnished for some reason or another) -- will he likely get caught for this? & what are the consequences (as a person and/or a parolee)?

Snipes5

We don't answer any faster if you ask the same question several times. We all have lives, and sometimes it takes a bit to answer.

Personally, sometimes I don't answer at all, because I don't have time to adequately explain my answer.

In any event, it IS against the law to fail to file a tax return. Yes, they will catch him, and when they do, there are consequences.

If they determine that he has a pattern of failing to file, or should they decide he owes them money, there will be penalties and interest due. If he owes enough, they will eventually garnish his wages.

I generally only address Federal tax issues. There will be state issues as well.

If he truly wishes to put his criminal history behind him, failing to file taxes merely because his refund will be garnished is extremely stupid.

Yes, they will catch him. All W-2 wages are reported to the IRS. :D

Snipes

Thanks for the response

I thought I only asked the Q one other time... thought if I rephrased it, it would get noticed. People get ticked off too easily at this website -- that really turns me off, so be happy: you weeded out one more idiot.

But thank you for the information -- answers all my questions & I appreciate it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">