• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reporting of Sale of Two Lots Bought Separately

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jnindel

What is the name of your state? California.

I purchased two lots through separate transactions and sold them together a year later under one transaction. What is the best way to report the sale of both lots when they are sold together as one? One lot had a house on it, the other lot was vacant and connected to the lot that had the house on it. I have an overall profit on the sale of the two lots (and house). Thanks.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Assuming that the property with the house on it was not at any time your principal residence and assuming no depreciation recapture issues then you could simply report it as one sale and use the combined basis for both properties as the basis for computing the gain. If either of my assumptions are not correct then you may need to report each sale separately and allocate the purchase price to each property based on their relative fair market values.

LdiJ

Assuming that the property with the house on it was not at any time your principal residence and assuming no depreciation recapture issues then you could simply report it as one sale and use the combined basis for both properties as the basis for computing the gain. If either of my assumptions are not correct then you may need to report each sale separately and allocate the purchase price to each property based on their relative fair market values.
Did you mean sales/selling price there? I think that you did.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">