• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Residency Requirement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ivanl3

She has not been ordered to do so yet. At this point, she (niece actually) was only told that her work location was being moved from PA to NJ. Lots of people from other states are facing the same siutation. Details on relo pacakges (or lack thereof) have yet to be disseminated. But in the employee Q&A session held by the company, many employees asked many questions and (apparently) lead to questions about things being discussed in this thread. The company has not made a final decision on these policies but did concede that requiring employees to sell their property in other states was one of the policy considerations still under review. That lead my niece to ask her wise uncle (who then called me....ha ha) and ask "Is that even legal?". My response was "I don't see why not, but also seems ridiculous.". When I asked why the company might establish this policy, she did not know. My theory is expressed above. But I figure the answer can just as well be "No reason, just b/c they want to".

swalsh411

An employer cannot require an employee to do anything. What they can do is fire them if they do not comply. Depending on the circumstances, that firing may or may not be legal, and the terminated employee may or may not be eligible for unemployment.

Being fired because you refused to move is not misconduct and should not disqualify a claimant for that reason.

eerelations

They haven't (yet). He is just fearful that they might.
How come this person was female in January and is now male?

And if they hadn't ordered her/him to sell the house in January, why does she/he think they're going to order her/him to do it now?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">