• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Restitution for old crimes -

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

agogley

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

In 1994, I stole approximately $2,300 from a fast food restaurant where I was an employee at the time. The corporate staff conducted an investigation into the theft and had all of the supervisors take polygraph tests. Amazingly, I passed mine. Another employee, however, apparently did not. I know that this other employee was ultimately charged with a crime as I received a subpoena to testify against him. However, when I was never called to testify I assumed that the case had been dropped (I was 19 at the time and didn't know any better, I mean how could they convict him with no evidence?). A few years later I heard through rumors that this employee entered into a plea agreement related to my theft. I also heard that he confessed to stealing other smaller amounts of money from the tills (I am guessing this is why he didn't pass the polygraph).

Today, I feel horrible, first for committing a crime, and secondly for letting somebody else take the fall. However, I haven't seen this employee since that time and am not actually sure what the resolution to his case was. I am not sure I even correctly know his name.

I'd like to pay restitution, but I'm uncertain of two things. First, I'm not sure who I properly owe restitution too. Second, if I send a check to the fast food restaurant (a major national hamburger chain) is there a possiblity I could face charges (I'm assuming that nobody will be able to reverse this guy's plea agreement at this point, even if I had a way to contact him). I'm sure the statute of limitations is up, but I'm wondering if there is a way for the prosecution to reopen them when I send a check.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

In 1994, I stole approximately $2,300 from a fast food restaurant where I was an employee at the time. The corporate staff conducted an investigation into the theft and had all of the supervisors take polygraph tests. Amazingly, I passed mine. Another employee, however, apparently did not. I know that this other employee was ultimately charged with a crime as I received a subpoena to testify against him. However, when I was never called to testify I assumed that the case had been dropped (I was 19 at the time and didn't know any better, I mean how could they convict him with no evidence?). A few years later I heard through rumors that this employee entered into a plea agreement related to my theft. I also heard that he confessed to stealing other smaller amounts of money from the tills (I am guessing this is why he didn't pass the polygraph).

Today, I feel horrible, first for committing a crime, and secondly for letting somebody else take the fall. However, I haven't seen this employee since that time and am not actually sure what the resolution to his case was. I am not sure I even correctly know his name.

I'd like to pay restitution, but I'm uncertain of two things. First, I'm not sure who I properly owe restitution too. Second, if I send a check to the fast food restaurant (a major national hamburger chain) is there a possiblity I could face charges (I'm assuming that nobody will be able to reverse this guy's plea agreement at this point, even if I had a way to contact him). I'm sure the statute of limitations is up, but I'm wondering if there is a way for the prosecution to reopen them when I send a check.
Why don't you go to confession and send a check to a charity of some sort. You confessing to a crime that was committed 17 years ago is a stupid idea.

You didn't feel bad enough 6 years ago, so why now?

https://forum.freeadvice.com/other-crimes-federal-state-4/somebody-else-pled-my-crime-227015.html

swalsh411

How about writing a check for that amount to a worthy charity? That should clear your conscious. I nominate the ASPCA.

agogley

Why don't you go to confession and send a check to a charity of some sort. You confessing to a crime that was committed 17 years ago is a stupid idea.

You didn't feel bad enough 6 years ago, so why now?

https://forum.freeadvice.com/other-crimes-federal-state-4/somebody-else-pled-my-crime-227015.html
I became a Christian and would like to make restitution as I should have done long ago. It's not a matter of pennance but of trying to pay back what I owe.

Isis1

I became a Christian and would like to make restitution as I should have done long ago. It's not a matter of pennance but of trying to pay back what I owe.
Like Christ, this man took the fall. he already paid for your sins. Trying to take the punishment of what was already punished for will not release you from your sins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">