• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Restitution - Proof

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

al91206

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hi,

My partner was robbed and the person was convicted ... about 5 months later (now) we got a notice for a restitution hearing.

My question is this - most of the items stolen from his person were purchased years ago so receipts and records are really hard to come by, but this is what we have:

3 rings & 1 bracelet which is the bulk of the restitution equal about $15,000. We have pictures of my partner wearing the jewelry, a signed letter by the guy who we purchased them from attesting to the approx. cost and the approx. retail value (replacement cost). Will this be enough?

The defendant is out of jail now and has a private lawyer.

Any information is appreciated. My friends have also said they could write letter attesting to the jewelry, but they don't know how much, etc so I didn't think that would help much. I also wrote a letter since I paid for some of the jewelry as well. I will also be at the hearing tomorrow. Do we get to testify?

Thanks!

Al in SoCal

al91206

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hi,

My partner was robbed and the person was convicted ... about 5 months later (now) we got a notice for a restitution hearing.

My question is this - most of the items stolen from his person were purchased years ago so receipts and records are really hard to come by, but this is what we have:

3 rings & 1 bracelet which is the bulk of the restitution equal about $15,000. We have pictures of my partner wearing the jewelry, a signed letter by the guy who we purchased them from attesting to the approx. cost and the approx. retail value (replacement cost). Will this be enough?

The defendant is out of jail now and has a private lawyer.

Any information is appreciated. My friends have also said they could write letter attesting to the jewelry, but they don't know how much, etc so I didn't think that would help much. I also wrote a letter since I paid for some of the jewelry as well. I will also be at the hearing tomorrow. Do we get to testify?

Thanks!

Al in SoCal

--------------------------------------

This is over with now - and if anyone visits this page wondering what the results were. The judge did award restitution. We had pictures with my partner wearing the jewelry along with an associated list of where and when we purchased everything. We were lucky though as the defendant scoffed at the amount of money he got a the pawn store! So the judge ordered him to pay 3X the amount he got from the pawn shops - approx. $20K.

quincy

--------------------------------------

This is over with now - and if anyone visits this page wondering what the results were. The judge did award restitution. We had pictures with my partner wearing the jewelry along with an associated list of where and when we purchased everything. We were lucky though as the defendant scoffed at the amount of money he got a the pawn store! So the judge ordered him to pay 3X the amount he got from the pawn shops - approx. $20K.
Thank you for providing the background information from your February thread, and the updated information, to go along with your recent thread (https://forum.freeadvice.com/sentencing-parole-pardons-plea-bargains-29/restitution-proof-603797.html).

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">