• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Restraining Order - Temp or Perm?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MomGT123

You hardly need anyone to validate your positions or justify your actions to date, but I'll congratulate you, nonetheless. The breaking up of a marriage (or any other relationship) is never easy ... and once you toss someone who's clearly non compos mentis, its even more fraught with disaster. Personally, I believe you handled the situation as judiciously as possible.

Do remember to keep your safety paramount, however. I've seen (and singularly experienced) situations similar to yours in which the "obsessor" held a grudge. I'm not implying that he'll get up to didos again, just simply drudging up the adage of being safe rather than sorry. In my case, I felt it prudent to retain a private detective to occasionally keep tabs on my ex-husband - I don't mean to imply that you should do so, too. But I will say that that reassurance was well worth it whilst I rebuilt my life.

I'd also strongly suggest that you form as strong of bonds as possible in your community ~ not only would that help you feel safer and more ... grounded, it will also help you feel more in control as time goes by.

Best of luck to you.
Thank you. While I know that it shouldn't matter one tiny bit, I do hate the thought that some may believe I am only out to weasel my way out of paying alimony (which if due, is due...simple as that) or any other means that are not honorable. I also keep in mind that those kind are common here and I'm sure it goes a long way to causing the regulars to have that mind set so I can't blame them either.

He is currently out of jail as far as I know and I do still watch over my shoulder. I do not stress out about it like I was in the beginning but I still do what I can to be safe. The alarm at my house is always active and I have taken measures to ensure that I am protected inside my home as well (with the proper instruction, continuing classes, and a safe; not only for my use but to keep my children safe from their own curiosity). I honestly don't believe he would ever go that route but better safe than sorry. The only way I have to keep tabs on him is to browse the county websites daily to see if he's been picked up on anything. Other than that, I don't know where he is or what he's doing. I can only hope the fact that I do not live near the major metropolitan area is in my favor since it's not easy for him to find rides to nearby destinations, much less all the way out to the house.

I have gotten to know several of my neighbors quite well in the past several months and call many of them a friend now. Since my house must be passed by them on their way home that is even an extra reassurance that if something is going on, they will notice. I have received more than one text asking me if I was alright at times when I would have a girlfriend over and the car was not recognized by my neighbors. I can truly say that we all watch out for each other which I think is fantastic. I have made it clear to them that they will not be intruding or thought of as nosy if they see something questionable and want to check in with me to make sure I'm alright.

I have appreciated all of the feedback here. Even when I felt a bit defensive at times - it was likely because something I said struck a chord and caused questions to be raised as to my intentions. Coming here and being grilled is no different than ending up in a courtroom and having the opposing party's counsel ask questions to try and poke holes in your story to cause the judge to question your credibility.

realfilm

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

There was a heated argument this morning between my husband and I (thankfully, my children were not there). He got frustrated and threw a pair of shorts off of the ground at me.
Must have been heavily starched.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">