• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Retirement Chapter?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FFuries

What is the name of your state: Florida

No, not another question on going AWOL, I would have rather stayed in.

What chapter and provisions am I retired under? I was an AF Reservist with prior Active Duty time.

I am in receipt of a 20 year service letter. I have a total of 15 Y's, 6 M's, 14 D's of active duty service. I have 22 Y's, 8 m's, 4 D's total service for pay. These numbers are from my DD 214, which also lists in block 23 Type of Separation: Retirement, Block 24 Character of Service: Honorable, Block 28 Narrative Reason For Separation: Mandatory Retirement Resulting From Permanent Physical Disability. I have my Blue Retirement ID Card. I was permanently disability retired with a compensable disability of 100%.

Everything I read talks about Chapter 61 of USC 10, my retirement orders refer to USC 10 1201, which if I read correctly is under chapter 61. The more I search on the internet the more confused I get. I am asking all this to get a feeling for CRDP elgibility, tried talking to the VA got 10 different answers from 10 different people, and I thought I was clueless. The VA website information is written so that non-legal types like me can't understand it.

Mike
TSgt USAF (Retired) (not AWOL)

Last edited:

SHORTY LONG

Instead of trying to understand Legal things that are not written in layman terms, I suggest
you contact any locale Veterans Service Organization like the AM. Legion, AMVETS,
Veterans of Foreign War, and make an appointment with a Veterans Service Officer.

Take your DD214 with you, and it is a free service to you that you have earnestly earned.

Thank you for your Honorable Service to our Country.

FFuries

Sir

Thank you for the response and advice, getting up with one of those organizations was/is my next step. I think after being in for so long, I've developed a fault, which is to do my homework before I ask for help. That way I can have a sense of what I can and cannot do.

Again thank you for the help. I also wish to take this time and wish everyone a Safe and Merry Christmas, We can all sleep well tonight for our Men and Women in uniform have our backs. Family tradition here, My Dad served 26 years (USAF), I served 22+ years (USAF) my first Christmas as a Retiree, my Son serves today (USMC).

Mike
TSgt, USAF (Retired)

Definitely follow Shorty's excellent advice about seeking assistance from a Veteran's Service Organization, DAV is outstanding.

There were recent changes in law that affected eligibility for CRDP on 1 October 2008. Previously Chap 61 retirees were not eligible unless they could have also received retirement pay based on longevity (i.e. 20 yr active duty OR 20 yr letter and age 60 for reservists).

Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">