• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

retirement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Michigan
I worked for a small town with 12 retirees. we are part of the state retirement. Union and salaried employees have had regular pay increases but the retirees had had no increase in the last 7 or 8 years. funny that the union does no think that this is a union matter? this cost of living has to be voted upon by the city council(either one time or for annual increases). the city manager blocks it every time it it brought up. he is afraid it will cost him too much of his own raise i guess. the retirees make anywhere between 10,000 to 19,000 and it is a very expensive small resort town. I wouldnt mind a small cost of living every 2 or 3 years. this is a 457 defered retirement and i am collecting a retirement disability(no, I didnt get a large settlement or lifetime medical). has anyone every tried a going to court in a situation like this to force a cost of living increase. the retirement itself has no problem with a cost of living increase if the city would just give the OK. I worked for a lower wage(I had offers of as much as 5 or 6 dollars more per hr with no retirement) for 22 years thinking that my retirement would make up for it.
i hope this is not too long or confusingWhat is the name of your state?

anteater

driftbuster said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan
... this is a 457 defered retirement
A Section 457 plan is a deferred compensation program, somewhat like a 401(k). You contribute to your account, the account grows tax-deferred, and then you decide, subject to IRS rules, when and how you take distributions. How much you receive is dependent upon the value of your account.

I am confused about why you believe that you should receive some sort of COLA.

Last edited:
COLA is allowed the way the retirement is set up, the city is the custodian so they have to aprove it. this is something that many cities in this retirement aprove, it might be every year or every other. I just want my piece of the pie that is alowed. not being greedy(health insurance it way too high), just trying to stay out of poverty along with the other retirees. if i am lucky to find part time work again i lose my retirement dollar for dollar it it totals over 24,000.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">