• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

rice and bird poop

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? CA

My neighbor directly in back of me puts scoops of left over rice on top of a common block wall to feed the birds. The rice eventually falls on my side and I have to pick it up and throw it in the trash. In addition, bird poop accumulates on my side of the wall. Moreover, some of the bird poop has stained my side of the wall.
I have tried to communicate with them while they are in their back yard but they just go about their business as if they don't hear me or see me.

I have since been pushing the rice back on to their property.

Need advice,
Joseph

PghREA said:
Bird poop can be easily hosed off. California residents create the strangest problems.
I don't know about you but I don't like having to pick up after someones trash. I also don't like to hose down bird poop when the problem won't exist if they put the rice elsewhere. Like I said some of the bird poop have left stains on the wall. On the other walls of my back yard it is clean and I've never had to hose them down.

Joseph

fairisfair

try writing them a letter, send it certified, voice your complaint and concerns in an adult and rational manner, let them know that the birds (and their poop) may be a health hazard and that you would appreciate them feeding them from another location. Or, start feeding cats ;) :D

Indiana Filer

fairisfair said:
try writing them a letter, send it certified, voice your complaint and concerns in an adult and rational manner, let them know that the birds (and their poop) may be a health hazard and that you would appreciate them feeding them from another location. Or, start feeding cats ;) :D
She could also put rubber snakes around to scare off the birds.

fairisfair

Indiana Filer said:
She could also put rubber snakes around to scare off the birds.
I think the rice would overcome the rubber snakes, but a couple of snarling kitties, just might do the trick. Actually that was the free part, the advice was about the letter.!!:D

fairisfair said:
Yes, thank you. I was planning on doing that today. I was going to suggeset to them to get a bird feeder which would look nice under their patio.

LOL about the cats! Their are cats in the neighborhood.

I guess the ultimate question is do I have any legal rights?

For example isn't she littering, when she misses the top of the block wall and ALL the big chunks of rice falls, on my property?

What about the bird poop stains? If this keeps up more stains will apear and the wall may need to be painted?????

fairisfair

Joseph_free said:
I guess the ultimate question is do I have any legal rights?

For example isn't she littering, when she misses the top of the block wall and ALL the big chunks of rice falls, on my property?

What about the bird poop stains? If this keeps up more stains will apear and the wall may need to be painted?????
you might be able to get the health dept. involved, birds are really dirty nasty things, (don't freak out guys, yes they are pretty too, when they aren't crapping on your stuff) I don't know the quanitity of birdie stuff you are talking about, you could always sue her later in small claims for any damage to your wall, or repairs that need to be completed, I would start taking pictures now so that you will have proof of the damage over time, caused by the bird stuff. Best case, is to work out something with your neighbor, are you a handy woodsy person? if so, maybe building her a platform feeder for her yard would keep the doo doo out of yours.

Fairdontcare

Finally a case he can handle.

Fairisfair I am so happy for you. You have found an area of practice suited for you. The exciting and lucrative bird poop litigation arena. Finally something you can handle to caress your ego. I look forward to the bird poop DNA lectures. Feather evidence. Utility pole loitering cases. Soon bird wanted posters will out number human crimminals down at the post office. Maybe like George Bush you can get the CIA to take the birds to covert locations and torture them for information. The skies the limit for you now pal you have certainly suprised everyone. Congradulations.

Last edited:
I am surprise that I can't get them for littering on my property?

Well, I was looking at my city's municipal code and would this apply:

ILLEGAL DUMPING. No person shall place, deposit, throw, or dump, or cause to be placed, deposited, thrown, or dumped, any garbage, swill, sand, rook, cement, glass, metal, cans, bottles, papers, ashes, dirt, carcasses of dead animals, offal, refuse, plants, cuttings, trash, or rubbish of any nature whatsoever or any nauseous, offensive matter in or upon any private road or any public or private property of any kind whatsoever.

thanks,
Joseph

acmb05

Joseph_free said:
I am surprise that I can't get them for littering on my property?

Well, I was looking at my city's municipal code and would this apply:

ILLEGAL DUMPING. No person shall place, deposit, throw, or dump, or cause to be placed, deposited, thrown, or dumped, any garbage, swill, sand, rook, cement, glass, metal, cans, bottles, papers, ashes, dirt, carcasses of dead animals, offal, refuse, plants, cuttings, trash, or rubbish of any nature whatsoever or any nauseous, offensive matter in or upon any private road or any public or private property of any kind whatsoever.

thanks,
Joseph
Don't think that will "fly" anyone you call is just going to say she is feeding the birds there is no littering. Why are you picking the stuff up, just wait till the next day and it will probably be gone anyway.

fairisfair said:
maybe building her a platform feeder for her yard would keep the doo doo out of yours.
Yea but then they would have bird poop in thier yard and they would much rather have it in his.

justalayman

I think I would be runnning my sprinkler in that area right about the time the neighbor feeds the birdies.

If fireworks are legal in your area/state Some good ol' firecrackers tossed near the birds will eventually get them to move along, often semi-permanently. EIther that or tos them out there when the neighbor is putting the food out. Maybe she will move along semi-permanently.

One other thing, although it is not very attractive. Since it is a common fence, you have as much right to put something on the fence as she. There is a spikey bird deterrent that you could mount on the fence (at least on your edge) that would shoo them away.

acmb05 said:
Why are you picking the stuff up, just wait till the next day and it will probably be gone anyway.
Well, once the rice gets hard from being outside, the birds don't eat them anymore. So that is why. Also the bird crap accumulates on my side of the wall.

I am glad fair mentioned the health dept. I was recently doing gardening where the rice usually falls and found rat/mouse crap. I strongly believe that not only is the rice attracting the birds but the rodents also. I'll have to call the health dept to see what they say on this.

I tried having a chat with the husband and he was in no mood to listen. All he kept ranting about was my dog. Any time I brought up the rice he change the subject to my dog. My dog went in his yard about 2 years ago. It was a one time incedent and has never happened. Yet he still wants to bring that up when that wasn't even the subject I brought up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">