• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rights to Intellectual Property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

This took place in, Texas. I was doing freelance web-design/development under contract labor. Also note that no contract was ever signed between me and this company.

I began working for a company that was in the middle of a legal battle over who actually owned the company. In the end my boss signed a contract with an ex-partner claiming she would retain ownership as long as she paid the ex-partner $5000 a month.

My boss ended up not paying the amount she was required to pay for many months, during this time period I made five web-sites, completely re-did the database of customers and products.

After a few months of missed/incomplete payments the old partner was granted full legal control of the company. As in the contract each of them signed, the ex-partner received the company, the building, and all of the intellectual property. While my boss was granted the inventory left over, as stated in the contract.

Now my boss wants all five of the sites I developed along with the list of customers and products.

So for my question: Is my boss entitled to the intellectual property that I developed while she was in control of the company, or is it all the previous partner who now owns the company?

Question rephrased in case it's difficult to understand:
It's stated in the contract that the ex-partner is granted all intellectual property, but does that include the work done while he wasn't in control?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">