• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Road safety is everyone's responsibility

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

Fmcsa says - "Personal conveyance is the movement of a commercial motor vehicle (CMV) for personal use while off-duty. A driver may record time operating a CMV for personal conveyance as off-duty only when the driver is relieved from work and all responsibility for performing work by the motor carrier. The CMV may be used for personal conveyance even if it is laden, since the load is not being transported for the commercial benefit of the motor carrier at that time."
"6. Time spent transporting personal property while off-duty."
What is it you wish to accomplish by continuing to post here? Are you hoping as owner of the trucking company to get out of paying for the driver’s accident?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I think the OP is mad that he was "forced" to drive through a snowstorm. Of course, any rational person reading the story understands that the OP was in no way forced to do anything. The OP could have waited the bad weather out.

quincy

Thanks. I understood that I'm is the only one to blame for his choice to drive in bad weather.
Sorry that my post is too long.
This sounds like RomTon is the owner responsible for his driver’s fines. But I got lost in his original posts. :)

RomTon

You were driving a commercial vehicle.
With an open MC, I rented an F150 pickup truck from Turo car sharing. I went to NY and picked up my wrecked pickup truck and trailer. At what point did my trip become commercial?
When I got behind the wheel of an empty pickup truck and drove from Texas to New York or when I hitched a trailer with a wrecked truck to it?

Zigner

With an open MC, I rented an F150 pickup truck from Turo car sharing. I went to NY and picked up my wrecked pickup truck and trailer. At what point did my trip become commercial?
You mean you picked up your company's wrecked pickup truck.

RomTon

You mean you picked up your company's wrecked pickup truck.
Yes. I don't know if this is important, but the damaged truck does not belong to the company. This is my personal pickup truck and trailer.

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
How much time passed between the request for the medical cert and when you actually produced it?

Zigner

Yes. I don't know if this is important, but the damaged truck does not belong to the company. This is my personal pickup truck and trailer.
Our company signs with DOT and MS numbers were still on the doors of our pickup truck Dodge Ram and were clearly visible.
Why would you have your DOT and MS numbers (assigned to your company) on your personal vehicle?

quincy

When I got behind the wheel of an empty pickup truck and drove from Texas to New York or when I hitched a trailer with a wrecked truck to it?
I think your story has changed a bit.

RomTon

Why would you have your DOT and MS numbers (assigned to your company) on your personal vehicle?
I don't understand the issue very well, but I will say that before on this truck I stuck signs of another company for the same purpose as the signs of my own company. Because the law requires it.

LdiJ

It became commercial when the very first thing that had your company name attached to it became involved in the process.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">