• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Roof Leaking

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?Oregon

We discovered today that our roof is leaking in two sections of the house. The roof needs to be replaced because the shingles are wood and in bad shape. We was told my LL when we moved in 3 mos ago that to pay attention and if roof leaked to contact them (property management co). I am going to write a letter informing property management company and fax it to them. To me this is a major repair but not a emergency repair. How long should I give them should they ignore letter #1 before I write letter #2. I want to leave a paper trail should they refuse to repair. Does anyone have any ideas on how long I should give them to replace the roof. I also have allergies to molds so I am also putting that in letter so I am hoping they will have attic checked for wet insulation.

ENASNI

sheesh

SkeeterBug said:

We discovered today that our roof is leaking in two sections of the house. The roof needs to be replaced because the shingles are wood and in bad shape. We was told my LL when we moved in 3 mos ago that to pay attention and if roof leaked to contact them (property management co). I am going to write a letter informing property management company and fax it to them. To me this is a major repair but not a emergency repair. How long should I give them should they ignore letter #1 before I write letter #2. I want to leave a paper trail should they refuse to repair. Does anyone have any ideas on how long I should give them to replace the roof. I also have allergies to molds so I am also putting that in letter so I am hoping they will have attic checked for wet insulation.
Oy Oregon... sheesh... check your weather man... You can get loads and loads or not... we in socal got more than freakin Seattle in our last few months does it really depend on that? give um 30 days or such... I guess..
really that is the norm.. if anyone wants to contradict me come after me and call me a ninny or da da da ( if anyone follows my posts they know what that means.) What if you get a rainstorm in the next 15... sheesh... I know you did it Crrr. right? RIGHT? RIGHT!!!

Sheesh.. you better have... don't walk the walk and talk the talk if you can't stand the blister.... (my own... :eek: )

No I do not *do* the mold... by the way...

Good luck skeeter

Last edited:

south

Why not pick up the listening/talking implement and call the manager and ask when they are coming?

:cool: In case you were taking notes its hot and sunny where I am

SkeeterBug said:

ENASNI

Oh

south said:
Why not pick up the listening/talking implement and call the manager and ask when they are coming?

:cool: In case you were taking notes its hot and sunny where I am
Ya mean he should get on the blower and ask? I think he should write a letter so he has some documentation my dear chap, This LL seems a bit Lazy.

south

On the contrary my dear Watson the OP seems to be of the position of tip toeing around the situation sometimes the shortest route is straight down the middle.

The OP mentions nothing of any attempt to picking up the telephone also know as the strange speak listening device, maybe the OP would like a little more water to penetrate so sends his message via snail mail so a little more rain time can build up.

My question to the OP is if a pipe bursts in his unit will he also notify the owner by mail that his unit is currently flooding.

The OP appears to be a brick short of a full load.

ENASNI said:
Ya mean he should get on the blower and ask? I think he should write a letter so he has some documentation my dear chap, This LL seems a bit Lazy.

ENASNI

otay

More important (sorry skeeter)
How you do that quote thing at bottom of page, grasshopper?

Oh never mind... I think I figured it out... you just like to be different don't ya? :D

south

One try's ones best doesn't one.

ENASNI said:
More important (sorry skeeter)
How you do that quote thing at bottom of page, grasshopper?

Oh never mind... I think I figured it out... you just like to be different don't ya? :D

Excuse me

south said:
On the contrary my dear Watson the OP seems to be of the position of tip toeing around the situation sometimes the shortest route is straight down the middle.

The OP mentions nothing of any attempt to picking up the telephone also know as the strange speak listening device, maybe the OP would like a little more water to penetrate so sends his message via snail mail so a little more rain time can build up.

My question to the OP is if a pipe bursts in his unit will he also notify the owner by mail that his unit is currently flooding.

The OP appears to be a brick short of a full load.
Excuse me regarding the brick short of a full load remark. The reason I mentioned a letter was for proof that I have complained should they refuse to repair. HEY NUMB NUTS haven't you ever heard of a paper trail. The problem with notifying by phone is you haven't got proof should you have to withhold rent later to get something repaired or did that occur to you NUMB NUTS

SDlandlord

Take both approaches (tactics)

Why not telephone the landlord as suggested above. Landlord will tell you it will be taken care of by such and such date (hopefully not when hell freezes over). Hang up, sit down and write a polite letter to landlord documenting conversation. You can phrase it something like..."this is make sure I understood what you said".

You get the benefits of direct communication, which can shortcut a lot of misunderstandings, and the documentation of a paper trail, which is important.

Regards,

Mike

south

NUMB NUTS? That’s the pot calling the kettle black.

Notify by phone first so the landlord can prevent his building from getting worse.

Like you said: 'proof that I have complained should they refuse to repair'.

They have not refused so why not pick up the phone you idiot and tell them what is wrong LIKE they originally instructed you to do.

SkeeterBug said:
Excuse me regarding the brick short of a full load remark. The reason I mentioned a letter was for proof that I have complained should they refuse to repair. HEY NUMB NUTS haven't you ever heard of a paper trail. The problem with notifying by phone is you haven't got proof should you have to withhold rent later to get something repaired or did that occur to you NUMB NUTS

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">