• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Roofing Warranty

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

debodun

I has a new roof put on my house in early August. The roofer said he'd mail me the warranty in a few days. It is now late September and despite several phone calls and email reminders to the roofing company, I still have not received the promised mailing. Is there anything I can do to expedite this process?

adjusterjack

You should have had him bring the warranty when you paid him.

Anyway, do you have an invoice showing the brand and type of shingle? Do you have a wrapper from any of the shingle packages?

Either will allow you to go to the manufacturer's website so you can download the warranty.

What's left is the roofer's own warranty for the installation. Roofers don't give much of a warranty on the installation, usually a year.

If you didn't get it written on the invoice and he's already been paid you can pretty much forget getting it now, unless he's licensed (is he?) and you can put some pressure on him that way.

Or you can write him up on Yelp and/or other local review sites, warning people to get the written warranty from this roofer before handing over the payment.

The lesson: A manufacturer's warranty comes with the product. An installation warranty is something you negotiate with the contractor and you'd better get it writing before you pay him.

Anticipating my fellow pedants reminding me about warranty laws, they do exist but they don't help much with an unlicensed and/or un-reputable contractor.

quincy

I has a new roof put on my house in early August. The roofer said he'd mail me the warranty in a few days. It is now late September and despite several phone calls and email reminders to the roofing company, I still have not received the promised mailing. Is there anything I can do to expedite this process?
What is the name of your state?

Was your roofer licensed and insured?

quincy

debodun, I just took a look at your posting history on this forum. Do you still live in New York?

zddoodah

Your question doesn't appear to raise a legal issue, but have you considered visiting the roofer's office to obtain the warranty documentation?

quincy

Yes, I live in New York and I did sign a contract.
There are two types of roof warranties - the manufacturer’s warranty which covers the roofing material (e.g., from material defects) and the workmanship warranty which covers the roof installation and the labor.

Does your contract you signed with the contractor address the warranty on the contractor’s installation and labor, the work done by the roofers?

Did you get a “package” when you selected the roof shingles that addresses the manufacturers guarantees on the roofing material?

Sometimes the warranties are included aa part of the documents signed before the work begins. If you cannot find anything like that among the papers you have, going to the contractor’s office might be the speediest way to get these missing documents.

quincy

It might also help to know, should the contractor not be forthcoming with the warranty or warranties (both of which should be available to be provided by the contractor), if the roofing contractor was licensed and insured.

Did the contractor pull a permit for the work?

Was debodun’s insurance company notified of the improvement to the property?

Debodun may have additional avenues to explore depending on the answers.

debodun

I can't answer about any permits. Where I live in the boondocks of upstate NY, no permits are required for HI under $20,000.

The contractor claimed he was licensed and insured - it is a well-known and long-time business around here.

I didn't receive ANY warranties, just the work contract.

The insurance company did inspect the property and gave an all-clear.

quincy

I can't answer about any permits. Where I live in the boondocks of upstate NY, no permits are required for HI under $20,000.

The contractor claimed he was licensed and insured - it is a well-known and long-time business around here.

I didn't receive ANY warranties, just the work contract.

The insurance company did inspect the property and gave an all-clear.
Thanks for answering our questions.

I again think your best course of action is to head to the contractor’s office and stay there until you are handed the warranties. You can make a pest of yourself if necessary.

Good luck.

quincy

Verification of license and insurance of contractor is important as would be verification that no local permit was needed for the roof work.

The fact that debodun’s insurer inspected the property and approved the work is a good sign that the contractor followed all applicable laws, though. If the roofing work required a permit and one was not pulled, for example, insurance coverage on any future roof damage potentially could be denied.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">