• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

roommate backing out of a lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jto519

In August, I signed a lease with a verbal agreement from two other girls that they would pay me every month and that I would write one check to the landlord. However, one of my roommates is moving out in a week, leaving me to pay her rent through the end of the lease. Unfortunately, we do not have any sort of written contract saying she would stay through the end of the lease term, but I do have a witness (my other roommate) and I have her checks from every month she has lived here. Is there anything I can do or am I screwed?

ecmst12

That means she only has to give, in most states, 30 days notice before moving out. If she didn't give that much, you can take her to small claims court for one month's rent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">