• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

running a business from a condo?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CGA

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

I recently moved to a condo and would like to start up my own proofreading business. Someone told me the condo association prohibits anyone from running a home business, which I was not aware of when I purchased the condo. I think this is ridiculous since my business would not involve clients coming to my home and it would not disturb any of my neighbors. Actually, there's no way anyone would ever know about the business. Is there any way around this stupid rule?

J

justathought

CGA said:
Someone told me the condo association prohibits anyone from running a home business...
Are you sure the condo association isn't just reiterating the local zoning codes for your building?

C

CaliCat

It could be the local zoning rules. When you bought the condo, did you ask? A realtor isn't responsible to this "petty" stuff unless you ask. They simply can not tell you every teensy detail.

http://www.nj.com/njsbdc_new/index.ssf?/main.html

might have some info. But my bet is zoning-the place isn't set up for prospective clients needing parking. If it's solely client-in-person-free, then it may be possible.

What kind of business is this?

CGA

I'll have to check into it and see if it's a zoning law or just a condo association rule. The business would NEVER involve anyone coming to my home and my neighbors would have no way of knowing I was even running a business. There's no inventory involved either. Everything is done over the phone or e-mail. I found a local lawyer who specializes in this kind of thing so I'm going to go see him. Thanks for the info.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">