• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Scammed by someone renting out a room in house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NickL30

What is the name of your state? Connecticut

I was scammed by someone renting out a room in house and now out close to $2,000. I paid the agreed upon one month security deposit, first & last month rent for what what supposed to be a month to month share situation. He never wrote up the agreed upon lease or anything that we agreed upon. I was supposed to receive the keys when the checks cleared. They cleared my bank, but this person has gone completely AWOL and has not returned calls or voicemails..

He wrote me receipts with signatures stating what each payment was for but this is meaningless because there is no way to prove that he signed those receipts. The police won't help because this is a housing / landlord tenant issue. I have this persons full name, address & license plate number but how do I bring about a case rather than him denying everything??

I wouldn't have done this, but I have bad credit and can't get an apartment on my own even though I make substantially more than the median & mean household income in this region.

Last edited:

acmb05

What is the name of your state? Connecticut

I was scammed by someone renting out a room in house and now out close to $2,000. I paid the agreed upon one month security deposit, first & last month rent for what what supposed to be a month to month share situation. He never wrote up the agreed upon lease or anything that we agreed upon. I was supposed to receive the keys when the checks cleared. They cleared my bank, but this person has gone completely AWOL and has not returned calls or voicemails..

He wrote me receipts with signatures stating what each payment was for but this is meaningless because there is no way to prove that he signed those receipts. The police won't help because this is a housing / landlord tenant issue. I have this persons full name, address & license plate number but how do I bring about a case rather than him denying everything??

I wouldn't have done this, but I have bad credit and can't get an apartment on my own even though I make substantially more than the median & mean household income in this region.
You get copies of the endorsed checks from your bank and sue him in small claims court.

NickL30

Can I also sue for the amount of money it is costing me in alternative living arrangements??

The owner of the property that I was going to be sharing insisted on running my credit, seeing paystubs & drivers license but in the end scammed me in the end to the tune of over $2,000. Person won't return calls, emails or anything.

I am living in a motel room paying $80 a day plus tax because I don't have money to put down 3 or months rent in advance + security deposit. Apparently my credit isn't good enough to get an apartment on my own (I have a 660 FICO score) plus I relocated from out of state so no one will rent to me with less than 3 months upfront.

I don't get my first paycheck until the end of the month, and then there is going to be the 10 business day hold until funds are available where I scap enough together to get housing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">