• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

scared for child

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

skyy

What is the name of your state? CA
Most of these questions involve child and child's family members.

1. a) If I say, on tape, that I'll be recording ALL conversations that come in and out of my home, is it necessary to repeat myself for every call afterward to remind them I'm recording?
b) If the child is on the phone but the person we called 3-ways in someone else, am I still responsible for telling that person they're being recorded? For instance, child talks to grandparent who then 3-ways an associate of hers.

2. a) What problems would I face if I had illegally tape recorded a conversation (not admitted in court) and the other party knew (in plain English)? This wasn't for kicks but to prevent a life-threatening situation. At the time, I figured a heads up on knowing about a possible abduction was better than waiting to find out after the child was missing.
b) Would I be able to write an overview of what happened during the call for documentation? Or would I have to leave out things I wouldn't have heard had I not been listening?
c) Could an exception be made for outstanding situations such as the one above when the person has a history of abuse?

3. What about listening in on children's phone calls? Right now, it is forbidden to discuss some military information over the phone/internet for national security reasons, but the child is always prompted for information and instructed to answer "yes" or "no". If I don't know what's being asked, I can't prevent the child from saying something to jeopardize the safety of some military members.

I'd appreciate any information. I've seen most of the recording laws, but didn't see any regarding child protection. I didn't think it was something I should be worried about until they started making plans to take the child (telling him) and had me on 3-way calls without my knowledge.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I believe you have to inform people each time you intend to record, but I could be mistaken.

As for listenning in on calls - most (if not all) judges would seriously frown upon that. Besides that, expecting a child to bear the burden of having information that they must not reveal is too much for a kid. If it's something he needs to keep quiet - maybe he shouldn't have the information. Expecting that of him is no different than what the other party is doing.

skyy

He doesn't get but so much information. His father is overseas and was supposed to be gone for 6 months, but that has been extended with no time frame as to when to expect him back. The first few months (before we knew about the extension), they would keep asking if he'd heard from him or if he was back. I though it was a stupid question because the 6 months was not nearly over.

Now, they keep asking if he knows when the father will be back or what he's doing. We are not supposed to talk about deployment issues...period. I keep saying I don't know because I don't, but they insist on asking him. (This isn't the first time he's been interrogated. They try to pump him for information at any opportunity.) Not only is it hard for the child to not have any answers for them, but it's a constant reminder that his father is not home. And that's painful.

I don't tell him anything I'm afraid will leak, but this is an obvious fact. I've tried asking them to not ask anything about this (and topics that should stay between the parents) and to direct it to me because I have more accurate answers and keep them informed. (The last time they pumped him for information, they got the idea that we were about to leave the country, and everyone and their mom called me trying to figure out why I didn't tell them.) They usually get stupid and start again when the chance presents itself or get another family member to ask the same question.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">