• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Scared

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

No, the OP stated, "I've been taking over the payments for her 2020 Camry on my own, not through any financing company ..." which really makes no sense at all. And, "They're aware she passed & I filled out the paperwork & returned it."

We really don't know what that means. There's more to do to take over ownership of a car than fill out some paperwork and send it back to somebody.
I had to insure the car while I was still able to drive & Toyota said the process would take a long time. Allstate did tell me to call back once the transfer was done. But I'm thinking I got confused. Maybe the financial transfer was being put in my name, not the title.

In which case, I am not sure the car is insured. Would an insurance company payout on an accident where the driver is essentially committing insurance fraud?
Allstate is aware of my sister's passing. The told me to call back once the transfer was complete. I thing I got the transfer confused. Maybe it's a financial transfer not title

quincy

I had to insure the car while I was still able to drive & Toyota said the process would take a long time. Allstate did tell me to call back once the transfer was done. But I'm thinking I got confused. Maybe the financial transfer was being put in my name, not the title.
That the loan was being put in your name, and not the title, makes the most sense. Toyota doesn’t care who pays on the loan. They just care that payments are made.

OH so that is the problem. You can no longer physically drive now and hence don't need to illegally take someone else's car. The money is just an excuse.
I'm not supposed to drive but I can if I need to. I've been out of work over a year. I can't afford to keep the car; no excuse! I can't afford my current residence & I have to move. They're several things going on. How am I illegally taking someone else's car? I notified Toyota & I phoned Allstate. They both told me what to do.
What should I have done when I was still able to make payments to Toyota? What is the "legal" way?

They would still need letters of administration showing that the estate authorizes that transfer. I've never seen a car manufacturer/finance company offer such other than on initial purchase. Unless we're talking about a lease situation rather than straight financing.
I didn't know what to do so I phoned Toyota. I may have confused things but I now think they were just going transfer the payments in my name, not the title.
Where should I have gotten these letters (that I knew no nothing about)?
No lease, "straight financing".

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
How am I illegally taking someone else's car?
The car does not belong to you. The car belongs to the estate of your sister and should have been distributed according to the law (or returned to Toyota). In neither case do you have the authority to simply take the car for your own use.

Toyota doesn't care as long as they get their money, nor does Allstate.

quincy

I didn't know what to do so I phoned Toyota. I may have confused things but I now think they were just going transfer the payments in my name, not the title.
Where should I have gotten these letters (that I knew no nothing about)?
No lease, "straight financing".
Here is a link to finding legal help in your area:

https://mdcourts.gov/legalhelp/findinglegalhelp

If you changed the name on the loan papers from your sister’s name to your name, you became responsible for paying on the loan and you will be the one in default on the loan if payments are missed. This default can show up on your credit reports.

The car does not belong to you. The car belongs to the estate of your sister and should have been distributed according to the law (or returned to Toyota). In neither case do you have the authority to simply take the car for your own use.

Toyota doesn't care as long as they get their money, nor does Allstate.
Exactly & Toyota advised me what to do. I'm returning it anyway

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Exactly & Toyota advised me what to do. I'm returning it anyway
You can't return it. THE ESTATE administrator has to return it. GOOD GRIEF. You don't seem to understand this property is NOT YOURS to determine. It belongs to the estate. I don't care what Toyota or Allstate said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">