• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

school allowed someone else to sign a permission slip

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LdiJ

Get real - DAD signed a permission slip. DAD knew. That's all that's required (by law).

I get it - you're mad. I get it, there are tons of problems. What YOU need to get is that you are wrong in this particular instance.
I honestly get mom's gripe both about the situation. Its her custody day. She could have planned numerous different things for that day not knowing that the child was not going to be on campus...or she could have even kept the child home that day for various and sundry reasons and the child could have missed the trip entirely because she knew nothing about it. Or, there could have been a family emergency necessitating picking up the child early from school that day and mom wouldn't have known that the child wasn't there. There is also the point made that mom would have attended the field trip herself had she known about it.

While a teacher cannot be expected to know which days are custody days for a classroom of students, for each parent, grandma certainly knew that it wasn't her son's custody day. Grandma should have called mom and asked mom what she wanted to do. I think that the school was smart to suspend grandma from the classroom for a month, because she did open up the school for liability if something bad happened on that field trip. I would disagree with mom about keeping grandma out of the classroom permanently for this one incident, but it does appear that grandma oversteps quite a bit.

Hopefully the one month suspension will make grandma think twice about overstepping, and will keep the teacher alert to grandma's overstepping.

Personally, if I were a school administrator I would require the approval of both parents before I would permit any family member other than a parent, to volunteer in a classroom. It would avoid all kinds of problems that could be disruptive to the school.

momyof2

That's irrelevant, and since the school has no permission slip from dad there is no proof. All they have is a permission slip signed by a volunteer- who has no legal right to sign it. And to remedy this I ask she no longer volunteer in the class, sounds pretty reasonable to me. I asked for advice on how to deal with this with the school.
Get real - DAD signed a permission slip. DAD knew. That's all that's required (by law).

I get it - you're mad. I get it, there are tons of problems. What YOU need to get is that you are wrong in this particular instance.

Zigner this volunteer has created so many issues for my kids. Keeping them in from recess discussing court matters and issues dad and I have. I know why she signed the permission slip, and if it were an innocent one I'd leave it alone. To me this is a black and white issue, a non parent signed a permission slip and my son left the campus without my knowledge. I think this is grounds for her to no longer be in the classroom.
As people here have politely tried to explain, the fact that the grandmother signed a permission slip is not likely to be a legal issue for which you have a cause of action, and the fact that you think the grandmother shouldn't be allowed to volunteer in the classroom certainly isn't a legal issue for which you have a cause of action. If you believe that there is a legal issue why the grandmother should not be allowed in the classroom, or a legal stance that you could take in a court of law against the grandmother, your x husband, or the school related to the permission slip that the grandmother signed, then you should talk with your attorney about it.

momyof2

Thank you! I would how ever agree with the one month suspension but this isn't the first incident. That is why I want her removed. Any advice on how to proceed, I have meet with administration and they originally agreed with her being removed from the classroom then after the meeting was over they apparently changed their minds.

I honestly get mom's gripe both about the situation. Its her custody day. She could have planned numerous different things for that day not knowing that the child was not going to be on campus...or she could have even kept the child home that day for various and sundry reasons and the child could have missed the trip entirely because she knew nothing about it. Or, there could have been a family emergency necessitating picking up the child early from school that day and mom wouldn't have known that the child wasn't there. There is also the point made that mom would have attended the field trip herself had she known about it.

While a teacher cannot be expected to know which days are custody days for a classroom of students, for each parent, grandma certainly knew that it wasn't her son's custody day. Grandma should have called mom and asked mom what she wanted to do. I think that the school was smart to suspend grandma from the classroom for a month, because she did open up the school for liability if something bad happened on that field trip. I would disagree with mom about keeping grandma out of the classroom permanently for this one incident, but it does appear that grandma oversteps quite a bit.

Hopefully the one month suspension will make grandma think twice about overstepping, and will keep the teacher alert to grandma's overstepping.

Personally, if I were a school administrator I would require the approval of both parents before I would permit any family member other than a parent, to volunteer in a classroom. It would avoid all kinds of problems that could be disruptive to the school.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Thegeekess, if only this is was truly what happened I wouldn't be asking for legal advice, there's so much more to the story. I had NO knowledge of the trip.
Grandma signed the permission slip
My son left school on my custody day without my knowledge
The teacher watched grandma-volunteer sign
No one even called me
I have requested volunteer no longer be in the class because of this reason and many other inappropriate things she has done over the course of 2 years. I don't think that is unreasonable. I'm asking for advice on why the school will not remove her from the classroom
Why don't you communicate with the school frequently? Then you would know about the trip.

Grandma signed the slip on behalf of dad who also has legal custody.

Dad is allowed to have his mother volunteer in his child's class. YOUR wishes do NOT trump his. He is equal. He can have someone sign a permission slip just like you can.

You seem to be on a power trip. You seem to think you are more important than dad. You seem to believe YOU are the one in control and dad has nothing to contribute or add to the discussion. You seem to think dad cannot make decisions. As we say here, your uterus is not made of gold.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Dad has equal rights to mom.

momyof2

Grandma is only a volunteer. Period she can not legally sign a permission slip. That is california state law. You're confusing the fact that the volunteer is his grandma.

As people here have politely tried to explain, the fact that the grandmother signed a permission slip is not likely to be a legal issue for which you have a cause of action, and the fact that you think the grandmother shouldn't be allowed to volunteer in the classroom certainly isn't a legal issue for which you have a cause of action. If you believe that there is a legal issue why the grandmother should not be allowed in the classroom, or a legal stance that you could take in a court of law against the grandmother, your x husband, or the school related to the permission slip that the grandmother signed, then you should talk with your attorney about it.

LdiJ

Dad has equal rights to mom.
I didn't say that he didn't. I only pointed out that it was mom's custody day and gave some examples of why I understood mom's position. As far as equal rights are concerned...to me that means that both parents ought to have approval rights for any family members volunteering in the classroom...particularly when a grandparent is doing something like keeping the child in from recess to talk about adult matters.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Grandma is only a volunteer. Period she can not legally sign a permission slip. That is california state law. You're confusing the fact that the volunteer is his grandma.
Grandma was signing on behalf of DAD - you know, the other parent...

Again, on this matter you are wrong.

LdiJ

Grandma was signing on behalf of DAD - you know, the other parent...

Again, on this matter you are wrong.
I am looking at this from a different standpoint than you are Zig. Permission slips are not just permission to attend an event outside of school, but also a release of liability. Allowing someone other than a parent to sign a permission slip, even on the behalf of a parent, opens up a school for liability if something goes wrong.

momyof2

I am advocating for my children there has been on going inappropriate behavior with the volunteer and my children. This has nothing to do with dad.

Would the situation be different if this was a neighbor? Or someone who says hello to me in the mornings? No! You can't sign permission slips unless your a parent. How would you feel if your kid left school and you didn't know? Grandma- the volunteer oversteps her boundaries often.

Why don't you communicate with the school frequently? Then you would know about the trip.

Grandma signed the slip on behalf of dad who also has legal custody.

Dad is allowed to have his mother volunteer in his child's class. YOUR wishes do NOT trump his. He is equal. He can have someone sign a permission slip just like you can.

You seem to be on a power trip. You seem to think you are more important than dad. You seem to believe YOU are the one in control and dad has nothing to contribute or add to the discussion. You seem to think dad cannot make decisions. As we say here, your uterus is not made of gold.

Zigner

You can't sign permission slips unless your a parent.
First - you are wrong about this. There are MANY situations where a non-parent can sign.

Second - IT DOESN'T MATTER! Dad signed a permission slip prior to grandma signing it. The whole matter of grandma signing it is moot because DAD had previously signed one for the same event.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm going to jump off of this merry-go-round. It's obvious that mom doesn't want to hear anything that disagrees with her flawed view on the matter.

Zigner

I am looking at this from a different standpoint than you are Zig. Permission slips are not just permission to attend an event outside of school, but also a release of liability. Allowing someone other than a parent to sign a permission slip, even on the behalf of a parent, opens up a school for liability if something goes wrong.
That's certainly a valid point. However, it's irrelevant insofar as this thread is concerned. Mom doesn't care about who assumed liability. Mom just cares that SHE (mom) didn't sign the permission slip.

Proserpina

I am advocating for my children there has been on going inappropriate behavior with the volunteer and my children. This has nothing to do with dad.
Yes, it does - you've made that perfectly clear.

Look. You are going to have an incredibly miserable 12 or so years. I don't care about that. But you're going to make your mutual child miserable at the same time. I do get why you're all heated up - I really do. But honestly, you have a choice here.

1. Understand that this crap happens ALL the time, recognize which battles are worth fighting, and roll your eyes before you just get on with your life

or

2. Make such a huge deal out of this that your child is going to see only how you're reacting, and may just come up with idea that you're miserable and you hate Date more than you love your child....your child is going to know, even if you haven't said a word out loud.

The choice is yours.

(And seriously, don't go down that path of "would you let your neighbor" crap. You're responding out of anger, and it's not pretty. Don't think for one second that your child doesn't know how you feel)

Proserpina

That's certainly a valid point. However, it's irrelevant insofar as this thread is concerned. Mom doesn't care about who assumed liability. Mom just cares that SHE (mom) didn't sign the permission slip.

I do agree with you both actually. But yeah, it's not about the safety of the child - that is crystal clear. That's why I see a miserable future ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">