• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

School District Bus Drivers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ipmatcdk

What is the name of your state? Texas

I am a cheer sponsor with a meager stipend. I am being told that if I drive the cheerleaders to footballs games, I will not be paid for driving. If someone else drives, they will be paid. But, there is a shortage of bus drivers, so now I'm being told that I must drive. This doesn't feel right to me. I don't mind driving if I get paid to do the driving. Do I have any grounds here? New to the forum so apologies for any lacking info.

Thanks,

TX Cheer Sponsor

quincy

What is the name of your state? Texas

I am a cheer sponsor with a meager stipend. I am being told that if I drive the cheerleaders to footballs games, I will not be paid for driving. If someone else drives, they will be paid. But, there is a shortage of bus drivers, so now I'm being told that I must drive. This doesn't feel right to me. I don't mind driving if I get paid to do the driving. Do I have any grounds here? New to the forum so apologies for any lacking info.

Thanks,

TX Cheer Sponsor
What sort of contract do you have?

Ipmatcdk

I'm an hourly employee for the school district. I get a $1000 stipend for 'being the cheer sponsor'. Theres not really a contract for that part.

quincy

I'm an hourly employee for the school district. I get a $1000 stipend for 'being the cheer sponsor'. Theres not really a contract for that part.
What would happen if you refuse to drive unless you are paid?

What exactly is the $1000 supposed to be for?

Ipmatcdk

Threats, probably. Juut be told I have to. Probably threaten to take the cheer sponsor position away from me.

Ipmatcdk

Teaching the cheers to the squad, being there for practice, logistics of ordering uniforms, running pep rallies. It's not really written down, just "understood"

quincy

Teaching the cheers to the squad, being there for practice, logistics of ordering uniforms, running pep rallies. It's not really written down, just "understood"
It sounds like you and the school district have a different understanding of what you are expected to do for the $1000.

Do you have a commercial drivers license?

Ipmatcdk

I do have a CDL. The district just doesn't want to pay me for driving. They aren't necessarily saying it's covered by the stipend, but more clearly that they "don't pay sponsors to drive buses". But yes, this is a vehicle that requires a CDL.

quincy

I do have a CDL. The district just doesn't want to pay me for driving. They aren't necessarily saying it's covered by the stipend, but more clearly that they "don't pay sponsors to drive buses". But yes, this is a vehicle that requires a CDL.
In addition to your CDL, are you otherwise qualified to drive a school bus in Texas?

See: https://www.tasb.org/services/legal-services/tasb-school-law-esource/business/documents/school-district-transportation.pdf

I personally would insist on being paid extra for being a bus driver. The driving does not appear to have any connection at all to being a cheer sponsor.

Ipmatcdk

I am qualified, and do drive a school bus for the same district for before and after school bus pick up routes each day where I do get paid. They won't pay me for driving to the games though. I have insisted, but they won't budge.

quincy

I am qualified, and do drive a school bus for the same district for before and after school bus pick up routes each day where I do get paid. They won't pay me for driving to the games though. I have insisted, but they won't budge.
Is the $1000 cheer sponsor position worth it to you?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">