• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

School harassing my son

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bernosky

Ohio.

Long story short... My son had a case dismissed in the beginning of May, and has no criminal record. Yet the school Sro has disclosed the police report to the school and they are suspending him from sports because of the incident. How and why can this happen? Isn't it illegal to disclose a juveniles record to anyone in the state? And if he was found innocent in the court then why can the school try to penalize him for something!?

Thanks for the help!

I'mTheFather

Was he found innocent or was the case dismissed?

Was he arrested for something that would be a felony if committed by an adult? If so, then those are public records.

Just Blue

Ohio.

Long story short... My son had a case dismissed in the beginning of May, and has no criminal record. Yet the school Sro has disclosed the police report to the school and they are suspending him from sports because of the incident. How and why can this happen? Isn't it illegal to disclose a juveniles record to anyone in the state? And if he was found innocent in the court then why can the school try to penalize him for something!?

Thanks for the help!
You should take all the facts to an attorney to discuss. Not a public internet forum.

Bernosky

The case was dismissed, it was a small possession charge. The school resource officer in my opinion had no business giving the police report to the school. Those aren't factual evidence especially when the report was written by a 15 year old.. The incident had nothing to do with the acidemic or sports piece from school... yet they're suspending him from sports and only sports? How ridiculous? They said it voided the athletic code of conduct, yet it seems this was a witch hunt to find this information. My son went to states as a sophomore last year now the coaches son is wrestling in his weight class and is captain of the team. Everything seems so questionable to me.

Just Blue

The case was dismissed, it was a small possession charge. The school resource officer in my opinion had no business giving the police report to the school. Those aren't factual evidence especially when the report was written by a 15 year old.. The incident had nothing to do with the acidemic or sports piece from school... yet they're suspending him from sports and only sports? How ridiculous? They said it voided the athletic code of conduct, yet it seems this was a witch hunt to find this information. My son went to states as a sophomore last year now the coaches son is wrestling in his weight class and is captain of the team. Everything seems so questionable to me.
Ahhh...So the state did not chose to go forward due to the small amount of dope.

School sports is not a RIGHT. The school can kick him off the team/s if they so choose.

Last edited:

Silverplum

I'll betcha that wrestler doesn't use drugs. :cool:

I'mTheFather

The case was dismissed, it was a small possession charge.
Dismissal doesn't mean innocent.
The school resource officer in my opinion had no business giving the police report to the school.
Actually, he did.
Those aren't factual evidence especially when the report was written by a 15 year old..
A 15 year old wrote the police report?? Or, do you mean your son wrote a statement acknowledging his guilt?
The incident had nothing to do with the acidemic or sports piece from school... yet they're suspending him from sports and only sports? How ridiculous?
You would prefer that he be expelled too?
They said it voided the athletic code of conduct, yet it seems this was a witch hunt to find this information.
Nope. No witch hunt. He did violate the code of conduct, didn't he?
My son went to states as a sophomore last year
So now he's facing the consequences of a stupid choice he made.
now the coaches son is wrestling in his weight class and is captain of the team. Everything seems so questionable to me.
What's questionable to me is that you seem more concerned about your 15 year old being banned from wrestling than you do about his drug use.

Just Blue

Dismissal doesn't mean innocent.Actually, he did.A 15 year old wrote the police report?? Or, do you mean your son wrote a statement acknowledging his guilt?You would prefer that he be expelled too?Nope. No witch hunt. He did violate the code of conduct, didn't he?So now he's facing the consequences of a stupid choice he made. What's questionable to me is that you seem more concerned about your 15 year old being banned from wrestling than you do about his drug use.
I wish that FA had an EXTRA "like" at times. ^^ Perfectly stated I'mThe Father.:cool:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I suspect the school knew of the charges w/o the SRO's involvement. Student athletes represent their school, and it is expected that they do so w/o such entanglements. As such, the school is permitted to remove your son from their sanctioned sport for violating the code of conduct that he AND you signed (I know I had to sign it). Maybe your son needs to learn that there are consequences to his actions.

Bernosky

You're all making very ignorant assumptions. The case was dismissed because my son was in the car that got pulled over for speeding and no one at the time took claim. The officer charged them all with possession. Thanks for the negativity everyone. My question was if the case was dismissed in the court of law, why is it relevant to the schools concern. You have all reminded me how ugly people are.

Ladyback1

You're all making very ignorant assumptions. The case was dismissed because my son was in the car that got pulled over for speeding and no one at the time took claim. The officer charged them all with possession. Thanks for the negativity everyone. My question was if the case was dismissed in the court of law, why is it relevant to the schools concern. You have all reminded me how ugly people are.
And you sir, have reminded me of how ignorant some parents are! So, I guess we're even.

Your MINOR CHILD was in a speeding vehicle. SOMEONE in said vehicle KNEW that there was ILLEGAL substance (marijuana) in the vehicle.

Junior is learning a hard lesson. His actions, and choice of friends have consequences. Luckily all the consequences are is suspension for an extracurricular activity. Next time Junior makes a poor decision? The consequences could be significantly more harsh.

Just curious: Did you punish Junior at all for this incident?

Last edited:

Just Blue

And you sir, have reminded me of how ignorant some parents are! So, I guess we're even.

Your MINOR CHILD was in a speeding vehicle. SOMEONE in said vehicle KNEW that there was ILLEGAL substance (marijuana) in the vehicle.

Junior is learning a hard lesson. His actions, and choice of friends have consequences. Luckily all the consequences are is suspension for an extracurricular activity. Next time Junior makes a poor decision? The consequences could be significantly more harsh.

Just curious: Did you punish Junior at all for this incident?
I would bet my bottom dollar OP did not punish Jr. :(

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Technically - your son WAS in possession. The school has every right to ban him from sports for it. What consequences have you imposed for his (poor) choice of friends?

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You were given the honest legal truth for Ohio. And as an attorney in Ohio, I second what you have already been told. Your son violated the school's code of conduct. Nothing wrong with the school penalizing him for that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">