• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

School records

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

okiesooner

What is the name of your state? oklahoma

I was able to obtain my child's preschool records and was disappointed to see that I was no where on the records. When asked for Father's name it had N/A...and many other things, but thats another story.

I then asked AGAIN for my other child's public school records. I specifically wanted the enrollment paperwork that was used to register the child. I understand them blacking out any of my ex's personal info.

Well I received an email from my ex informin me that the school contacted her and that she and the school felt that I had no need for this information and that I could ask her what questions I wanted, but I wasn't allowed to have my own copy.

Our court order states: "The Father has full access to all school records of said children."

When I sent the letter I also sent the court order and underlined this part.

I also have been researching and as fas as I can understand that the custodial and non custodial parent have equal access of school records unless a court order specifically prohibits this.

Am I understanding something wrong here?

Has anyone encountered this and what did you do to get the records?

ceara19

okiesooner said:
What is the name of your state? oklahoma

I was able to obtain my child's preschool records and was disappointed to see that I was no where on the records. When asked for Father's name it had N/A...and many other things, but thats another story.

I then asked AGAIN for my other child's public school records. I specifically wanted the enrollment paperwork that was used to register the child. I understand them blacking out any of my ex's personal info.

Well I received an email from my ex informin me that the school contacted her and that she and the school felt that I had no need for this information and that I could ask her what questions I wanted, but I wasn't allowed to have my own copy.

Our court order states: "The Father has full access to all school records of said children."

When I sent the letter I also sent the court order and underlined this part.

I also have been researching and as fas as I can understand that the custodial and non custodial parent have equal access of school records unless a court order specifically prohibits this.

Am I understanding something wrong here?

Has anyone encountered this and what did you do to get the records?
You are understanding correctly, but mom and the school seem to be confused. Speak with someone in the school's administative office. Send them a copy of the order and explain that you expect to have all of YOUR information as the father add to the school record and you would like a copy of ALL of your child's school records, not only current records, but any future records also (if a letter is sent to mom, it should also be sent to you).

Be nice and explain that you're sure it is just a misunderstanding and the person at the school is just confused on what the law requires them to do, but you would really like to see the matter rectified immediatly, so that you can keep yourself informed of your child's education. Of course, you are only doing all of this so that you can spot any potential problems and address them before they become REAL problems.

If it doesn't work, call your attorney and see if he will draw up a more "threatening" official letter of complience to send to the school.

momofrose

Did you ask your ex why you are not listed as the father and why you are not listed as a contact on the school forms??

Definitely send a letter with copy of the order (only pertaining to the school info) to the school and copy your ex wife on it.

Pop in at the school about a week later with both (letter and order) in hand - if they comply..great- if not - tell them they are violating a court order and your lawyer will be in touch.

It infuriates me that NCP's are treated with such disrespect and disregard.

Best of Luck
D

acmb05

Tell them you are filing a complaint with.

Family Policy Compliance Office
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20202-5920

And that, as thier Lawyer will know, they can lose Federal funding if they violate the FERPA act. If they dont send them to you in one week then call the compliance office and tell them you wish to file a complaint. They will send you all of the paperwork and also contact the school. You should expect to receive averything you asked for within a week of calling.

ceara19

momofrose said:
Did you ask your ex why you are not listed as the father and why you are not listed as a contact on the school forms??

Definitely send a letter with copy of the order (only pertaining to the school info) to the school and copy your ex wife on it.

Pop in at the school about a week later with both (letter and order) in hand - if they comply..great- if not - tell them they are violating a court order and your lawyer will be in touch.

It infuriates me that NCP's are treated with such disrespect and disregard.

Best of Luck
D
Plus the last page with the judges signature and the seal.

BL

And with all due respect , all the Parent needs to do is send the school a certified order , and demand he be named upon receipt .

ceara19

Blonde Lebinese said:
And with all due respect , all the Parent needs to do is send the school a certified order , and demand he be named upon receipt .
Exactly, asking mom will do nothing but cause an argument. Up until this point everything has probably been done through a secretary at the school. Going a little higher up, pointing out the problem and asking for it to be rectified immediately will fix things 99.9% of the time.

okiesooner

Well I am going to follow up with the school Monday. The email I received was from my ex and she stated that she and the school felt that the enrollment records were not apart of my childs school records. I disagree and the way I read the FERPA act that I have every right she has. I am going there to pick the kids up for Spring break and I am going to call the school in advance to let them know I am going to be in town (we live 10 hours apart) and that I will be picking up my UNALTERED copies then.
I really hope this is just my ex trying to interfere and not the school....surely they wouldn't be that ignorant.

ceara19

okiesooner said:
Well I am going to follow up with the school Monday. The email I received was from my ex and she stated that she and the school felt that the enrollment records were not apart of my childs school records. I disagree and the way I read the FERPA act that I have every right she has. I am going there to pick the kids up for Spring break and I am going to call the school in advance to let them know I am going to be in town (we live 10 hours apart) and that I will be picking up my UNALTERED copies then.
I really hope this is just my ex trying to interfere and not the school....surely they wouldn't be that ignorant.
If the school did play any part in all of this, it wa more then likely some volunteer or receptionist, that was not aware of the law and just went along with what mom told her. Go through the administrative offices and I'm sure you'll have no problems and probably a few apologies.

Keep in touch with the school and teacher to make sure you are being kept up to date. Most teachers will even send email updates and progress reports if you ask. That way you'll know anytime something important is coming up. Those first few school programs and plays are priceless!

acmb05

ceara19 said:
If the school did play any part in all of this, it wa more then likely some volunteer or receptionist, that was not aware of the law and just went along with what mom told her. Go through the administrative offices and I'm sure you'll have no problems and probably a few apologies.

Keep in touch with the school and teacher to make sure you are being kept up to date. Most teachers will even send email updates and progress reports if you ask. That way you'll know anytime something important is coming up. Those first few school programs and plays are priceless!
I would not be so sure of that. I went thru the Principle, Superintendant and the school board before I had to file a complaint and within 7 days I had all the records at my home. Even ones they originally told me were not in her file.

Keep om thier butts cause sometimes as with me they will listen to what the CP is telling them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">