• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Screen Door – HOA now requiring

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

North Carolina

Stacked condos, 42 years old, 2 story, 20 buildings, 144 units.

New R&R’s just released. Subject is not covered in CCR’s or By-Laws.

Previously, when an owner wanted to install a screen door on their entry door, they would file an ARC request per the CCR’s. The HOA requested that they be a certain color.

New board doesn’t like the un-uniform look of 62% of the units having them while the others do not.

New R&R is that everyone will have one. Owners have until 12/31/24 to install one. If not installed by then, the HOA will install and bill the owner.

This sounds beyond the Boards reach without a change to the CCR’s or By-laws requiring owner vote.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You didn't ask a question, but I'll answer the one I inferred: To find out if a vote of the owners is required, you will need to review the HOA documents.

quincy

North Carolina

Stacked condos, 42 years old, 2 story, 20 buildings, 144 units.

New R&R’s just released. Subject is not covered in CCR’s or By-Laws.

Previously, when an owner wanted to install a screen door on their entry door, they would file an ARC request per the CCR’s. The HOA requested that they be a certain color.

New board doesn’t like the un-uniform look of 62% of the units having them while the others do not.

New R&R is that everyone will have one. Owners have until 12/31/24 to install one. If not installed by then, the HOA will install and bill the owner.

This sounds beyond the Boards reach without a change to the CCR’s or By-laws requiring owner vote.
Was there a vote by members of the HOA?

Foamback

First of all, if it’s a condo, who owns the exterior of the building? I would assume the association does. If so, they can put a screen door, but they pay for it.

second point. I hate the encumbrance of using a screen door.

Third. What do the majority think? Not just those that go to meetings

quincy

There was no member vote. It just showed up the newly released R&R's.
Well … if 62% of the HOA members already have screen doors, I assume that at least 62% of the condo owners would approve the installation of screen doors should there be a vote. HOAs have always had a “thing” about uniformity/conformity so I imagine that the new R&Rs reflect the same type of rules and regulations already imposed on residents.

Are you mostly upset by having to pay for a screen door, or are you mostly upset by the possible overreach of the Board in requiring all units have screen doors?

As a side note: My mind is flashing back to a Seinfeld where Kramer installed a screen door on his high rise apartment. It opened to the building’s hallway. I hope your condos have patios or balconies that make a screen door make sense. :)

Well … if 62% of the HOA members already have screen doors, I assume that at least 62% of the condo owners would approve the installation of screen doors should there be a vote. HOAs have always had a “thing” about uniformity/conformity so I imagine that the new R&Rs reflect the same type of rules and regulations already imposed on residents.

Are you mostly upset by having to pay for a screen door, or are you mostly upset by the possible overreach of the Board in requiring all units have screen doors?

As a side note: My mind is flashing back to a Seinfeld where Kramer installed a screen door on his high rise apartment. It opened to the building’s hallway. I hope your condos have patios or balconies that make a screen door make sense. :)
Appointed boards with no quorum for over 25 years. Doubt they'll come to a meeting over storm doors.

I have a screen door. Many here can't afford to buy one. I'm upset about the overreach of forcing owners to pay for one or be billed. Retired from the board after 9 years 2 years ago. Please don't mention volunteering.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
I have a screen door.
Then, from a legal perspective, you don't have any recourse because the change does not affect you. About all you can do is try to force a vote on the matter following the rules in the HOA governing documents, but I anticipate with 62% of the owners already having them the vote wouldn't likely go the way you wish. If one of the owners who doesn't have a screen door wants to make a legal issue of it, that's up to him/her to pursue. Whether the HOA requirement is overreach depends on the powers given the HOA. If you've not ever read the HOA governing documents in detail now is a good time to do that so that should the board require something that does affect you in the future you'll know what your options are.

quincy

Appointed boards with no quorum for over 25 years. Doubt they'll come to a meeting over storm doors.

I have a screen door. Many here can't afford to buy one. I'm upset about the overreach of forcing owners to pay for one or be billed. Retired from the board after 9 years 2 years ago. Please don't mention volunteering.
From what I know of HOA Boards, I would never suggest that anyone volunteer to be a board member. I wouldn’t even suggest someone become a paid board member unless the pay was significant. :)

Perhaps there are enough other HOA members like you, who do not like the idea of forced installation, who can approach the Board about making exceptions for those unable to pay. It is hard enough for many today to just meet their ordinary daily needs without adding an (essentially unnecessary) expense.

As another mentioned, you first might want to verify that exterior doors are actually the responsibility of the homeowner and not the responsibility of the condo association.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">