• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sealed Records

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joe645

I'm in Nevada. Is it possible for an individual to petition a court and get an order to seal certain criminal records?

Just Blue

I'm in Nevada. Is it possible for an individual to petition a court and get an order to seal certain criminal records?
Depends...possibly. Be more specific and we may be able to be more specific. Include the state, what the conviction is with statute, age at time of conviction and year the sentence was passed.

quincy

Are you inquiring about the possibility of having your grandson’s criminal record sealed? If so, is Nevada the state where he committed the crime(s)?

The answers to Just Blue’s questions are important to learn whether sealing the records is an option available.

And, if this is about your grandson, he is an adult. Is there some reason he can’t handle this on his own?

joe645

Yes, he is an adult and the reason he can't handle this on his own is because he wouldn't have the first idea how to proceed. I happen to have some limited knowledge because of my law enforcement background. All his cases (14) were committed in Nevada and range from Trespass, Drug Possession, Possession of Stolen Property, to Domestic Violence. Everything except the Dom Battery happened prior to 2016. Most were Misdemeanors but 4 or 5 were Felony. All are listed as Closed, Dismissed or Denied. The Dom Battery involved his spouse who later recanted her charge but the record is still on the books.

I have downloaded "PETITION TO SEAL RECORDS" & "ORDER TO SEAL RECORDS" for DISTRICT COURT CLARK COUNTY, NEVADA forms and presume these will be the ones that I would use.

Last edited:

Just Blue

Yes, he is an adult and the reason he can't handle this on his own is because he wouldn't have the first idea how to proceed. I happen to have some limited knowledge because of my law enforcement background. All his cases (14) were committed in Nevada and range from Trespass, Drug Possession, Possession of Stolen Property, to Domestic Violence. Everything except the Dom Battery happened prior to 2016. Most were Misdemeanors but 4 or 5 were Felony. All are listed as Closed, Dismissed or Denied. The Dom Battery involved his spouse who later recanted her charge but the record is still on the books.

I have downloaded "PETITION TO SEAL RECORDS" & "ORDER TO SEAL RECORDS" for DISTRICT COURT CLARK COUNTY, NEVADA forms and presume these will be the ones that I would use.
Maybe he might have an idea how to do things and live an adult life if Grams and Grams would stop wiping his butt for him.

You, Joe, have caused this man to be broken and incapable of adulting. Stop it before he is beyond redemption. He committed adult crimes, and he must deal with the consequences like an adult.

For God's sake! Let him do his own clean up!

joe645

Maybe he might have an idea how to do things and live an adult life if Grams and Grams would stop wiping his butt for him.

You, Joe, have caused this man to be broken and incapable of adulting. Stop it before he is beyond redemption. He committed adult crimes, and he must deal with the consequences like an adult.

For God's sake! Let him do his own clean up!
I will continue to be civil on this website and not speak ill of anyone. Your comments though are unwarranted as you have no idea of the life changing circumstances this person has gone through from childhood to adulthood. Now that he and spouse are trying to rebuild, his past keeps bringing him down. His family has stood by him for obvious reasons and my Christian upbringing taught me that everyone should be given a chance and sometimes a helping hand. I came to this site seeking some legal advise, not to chastised.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I suspect your grandson would be best served by consulting with an attorney. Especially given that roughly a third of his cases are felonies, per post #4

quincy

I think you are making a mistake by trying to handle this for your grandson.

https://pardons.nv.gov/About/Sealing_Records/#:~:text=sealing Nevada Criminal Records,records relating to the conviction.

He could have difficulty getting his records sealed. Depending on how long prior to 2016 he committed all of these crimes, not enough time might have passed for sealing to be an option. His recent crime doesn’t help.

HE will need to fill out the forms. Or he can get assistance from an attorney. You could pay for the attorney.

Last edited:

joe645

I think you are making a mistake by trying to handle this for your grandson.

https://pardons.nv.gov/About/Sealing_Records/#:~:text=sealing Nevada Criminal Records,records relating to the conviction.

He could have difficulty getting his records sealed. Depending on how long prior to 2016 he committed all of these crimes, not enough time might have passed for sealing to be an option. His recent crime doesn’t help.

HE will need to fill out the forms. Or he can get assistance from an attorney. You could pay for the attorney.
If either of us was able to retain an attorney, I would not have asked this site for advice. Thanks for your input.

Just Blue

I will continue to be civil on this website and not speak ill of anyone. Your comments though are unwarranted as you have no idea of the life changing circumstances this person has gone through from childhood to adulthood. Now that he and spouse are trying to rebuild, his past keeps bringing him down. His family has stood by him for obvious reasons and my Christian upbringing taught me that everyone should be given a chance and sometimes a helping hand. I came to this site seeking some legal advise, not to chastised.
sigh..

While I appreciate your trying to help him is coming from a place of love....He keeps on making horrible and criminal choices. A helping hand is one thing... this stopped being a helping hand long ago. There is only so long you can use the "but he had a bad childhood" excuse. He should be old enough now to deal with the consequences of his life choices. Perhaps advising him to seek therapy to deal with his past might help him with his future.

Otherwise, what is going to happen when you are no longer here to clean up his messes? :(

I do wish you the best, Joe.

quincy

If either of us was able to retain an attorney, I would not have asked this site for advice. Thanks for your input.
Self-help packets are available for record-sealing, so you/your grandson can do this on your own. It will be a lot of work. Your grandson might want to search out legal aid clinics in his area if he/you start to struggle with the forms.

I hope your grandson finds a new job soon and that his criminal past is, in fact, in the past and will not create too many problems for him in the future.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
May I offer a suggestion, Joe?

Many law schools offer clinics where third year students, under the guidance of their professors, provide assistance at low- or no-cost to individuals who cannot afford private representation. I don't know what part of Nevada you are in but there is at least one such clinic serving the Las Vegas area through UNLV and the Southern Nevada University. I also found the following with pro bono resources within the state:

https://nvsctlawlib.libguides.com/c.php?g=1320844&p=9716807

adjusterjack

Just Blue may be a little brusque but I have to agree with her. My ex-wife enabled our son to shirk his responsibilities as a child, a teen, and an adult by frequently bailing him out of trouble thus allowing him to remain undisciplined. He is 54 years old, homeless and unemployable because of his felony record which cannot be sealed or expunged in AZ.

Whatever you are trying to do for him he needs to step up and be a part of the effort. I hope he does. Otherwise things are going to turn very frustrating when you get to a certain point if he is not capable of personally dealing with the requirements of the courts and/or government agencies.

joe645

sigh..

While I appreciate your trying to help him is coming from a place of love....He keeps on making horrible and criminal choices. A helping hand is one thing... this stopped being a helping hand long ago. There is only so long you can use the "but he had a bad childhood" excuse. He should be old enough now to deal with the consequences of his life choices. Perhaps advising him to seek therapy to deal with his past might help him with his future.

Otherwise, what is going to happen when you are no longer here to clean up his messes? :(

I do wish you the best, Joe.
His last problem was over 5 years ago, so he has been standing on his own 2 feet for sometime. He keeps wanting to move up in the working world at better paying jobs but when he does find one, his past history puts the brakes on. This is the issue. I have been told that in Nevada 98% of his"rap" sheet can be petitioned to seal. Again, thanks for the positive input. We will handle from here.

quincy

His last problem was over 5 years ago, so he has been standing on his own 2 feet for sometime. He keeps wanting to move up in the working world at better paying jobs but when he does find one, his past history puts the brakes on. This is the issue. I have been told that in Nevada 98% of his"rap" sheet can be petitioned to seal. Again, thanks for the positive input. We will handle from here.
I wish good luck to your grandson.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">