• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Security deposit deduction because of dog odor?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wyett717

Montana

Can a landlord keep money from a security deposit because an apartment apparently smelled of a dog? The apartment is rented with the allowance of pets; we paid a security deposit and additional monthly rent for the dog for the 4 months we lived there. After our final walkthrough, the inspector mentioned the apparent dog odor on the way out the door (oddly enough while the oven was on the self-cleaning cycle). I was floored by the comment, but I am concerned that they will try to keep a portion of it. Thanks!

Alaska landlord

Your apartment was given to you without "dog odor" You needed to return it to him without "dog odor". Your LL can deduct for what it takes in terms of cleaning the carpet and whatever else is needed to bring the unit back to a habitable condition.

wyett717

No, there was absolutely NO dog odor, that's the point. I would understand if it did smell in there, but I assure you, it definately did not. The carpets were professionally cleaned just prior to the walkthrough. The inspector stated that sometimes you can smell it after the carpets are cleaned, different smells from past use sometimes are "lifted from the carpet." All previous tenants in recent years have had dogs too, and there was no odor of dog when we moved in. Why should I have to pay for past years of dogs living there, especially when we lived there for just 4 months? If they don't like dealing with it, they should probably not be allowing pets in there in the first place.

With all due respect AL, your comment about a "habitable condition" couldn't be further from the truth. I wish I could post photos on here to show that the place was immaculate when we left it. Perhaps we shouldn't always assume that the poster is a slob, as I often see on here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">