• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Security Deposit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? CA
I purchased property about 4months ago. One of the tenants moved out. I mailed him a security disposition along with what was left of his security deposit. Some of the things I replaced and charged him for was a broken toilet seat, broken door knobs, broken medicine cabinet and broken shower head.

According to the tentant those items where like that when he moved in. He has lived in the place for 4yrs.

Some comments would be appreciated.

Joseph

HomeGuru

Joseph_free said:
What is the name of your state? CA
I purchased property about 4months ago. One of the tenants moved out. I mailed him a security disposition along with what was left of his security deposit. Some of the things I replaced and charged him for was a broken toilet seat, broken door knobs, broken medicine cabinet and broken shower head.

According to the tentant those items where like that when he moved in. He has lived in the place for 4yrs.

Some comments would be appreciated.

Joseph
**A: request that the tenant provide evidence supporting his/her position.
Such evidence should include a move-in inspection report or later inspection reports signed by both the tenant and the landlord or agent, photos or video of the conditions etc.

CA

Homeguru,
I am 99% sure that they don't have that. In the end we will probably settle this (i.e. I charge them only half of what I charge).

Can I have a written agreement with them that states they accept half of the charges? So with this written agreement they won't bother me for more security deposit?

Joseph

HomeGuru

Joseph_free said:
CA

Homeguru,
I am 99% sure that they don't have that. In the end we will probably settle this (i.e. I charge them only half of what I charge).

Can I have a written agreement with them that states they accept half of the charges? So with this written agreement they won't bother me for more security deposit?

Joseph

**A: first, did you actually comply with the CA Civil Code with respect to the return of the deposit?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">