• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Seeking help for friend, dad and 16 year old

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

onebreath

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I hope its kosher to discuss a friends problems...looking for similar experiences, legal insights, whatever. Things have been bad with 16 year old for years...got a call Sunday from dad to talk...I was not home but we talked later...he watched police cart off his child for threatening suicide with a knife.

Mom gave father primary custody of this son a couple of years back as she could not handle him. He has refused to go to school which is mind blowing to me....nothing this dad has done can make the child go to school. The dad has been super busy, he has work at nights waiting tables and barely makes the mortgage and child support for the child still at moms house, plus has been taking classes in the mornings to get to where he can have a good earning day job so he can quit the night job.

As of today he has realized that the childs acting out is a cry for help, is quitting classes,a nd trying to find a day job so can be with son much more to supervise.

What does one do with a 16 year old who refuses to go to school????

Thanks, onebreath

PS..He has had the child in therapy apparantly many times but the child sounds as if he may have a mental disorder....massive anger and is always throwing things at the drop of a hat, very volatile (why mom let him go)...and WAS also very hostile and resistant to therapy.

LdiJ

Quite frankly, it sounds like the child needs a far greater level of mental health assistance than he has been given so far.

The hospital will make recommendations. Dad should follow those recommendations.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">