• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Selective Enforcement of County Code

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jen10001

What is the name of your state? NV

We live in what was a rural suburban area until about 2 years ago in Las Vegas (older lots are 1/2 acre+, never homes are being constantly built on tiny lots). A developer built some million dollar homes across the street from our house, which are now worth 700K, no doubt frustrating the speculative investment purchasers who bought them. We also live on the corner of what has become a major street (4-lane 35 mph but everyone drives 55+), but which was a 2 lane dirt road less than 10 years ago.

In the past two years, due to "complaints" from the developer who is building the last two houses in the development finally, county code enforcement has been to our home more than 25 times for a wide variety of issues. We were well within compliance of the code 24 of those times, and one of those times we had to move our RV 5-feet back on our lot (it was bumped out into what was considered our front yard). Curiously, not a single neighbor on our street has been reported to the County even once for a code violation, despite numerous flagrant abuses of the rules, and abuse of the same things we are being taken to task for.

I will admit our home is older (1980), we have horses (3) that are well within our rights in this neighborhood, and don't have a fancy tract home, but we don't have foot tall grass, ten beater cars in the yard, or 5th wheels we rent out to sex offenders on the property. Whereas we are being reported for minor infractions (ie the RV), our neighbors run illegal boarding stables, chicken farms, chop shops, park their RVs directly in their front yard, etc.

I understand that the the houses across the street have CC&Rs, and that's fine for them, but we are tired of being harassed because this developer wants us to move. I understand the code enforcement officer is just investigating "complaints", but when the same complainer picks apart every issue and even makes up issues (our horses are being starved to death, we have dead cats in our yard, neither of which has *ever* happened) it seems like we are being singled out. Obviously this is selective enforcement, but can we do *anything* about it?

Mellie2019

Did a little searching

Hi,

I have the same question in regards to selective enforcement and did a little searching.

As for code compliance, I found that only if a complaint is made against an individual is action taken. I read articles where one person was sited for having their motorhome too far out of their drive or a boat in the front yard, while the next door neighbor with the exact same situation was ignored.

I think these are some options, maybe not all agree, but they are options...
Sue the developer for harrassment, you would have to have some kind of evidence proving it is him causing this, I believe

Call code compliance on him

Call the agency in charge of construction site safety.

Just a thought... if you want to tackle it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">