• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Self Defense

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

spawn_x

What is the name of your state? Hollywood, California

How good would the chances be of me getting in trouble for using a knife (stabing someone, but not to death) in self defense?

Was driving home from a concert today at 1am and was "bullied" on the road with 4 "thugs" in an SUV who just looked drunk.

I'm not the kind of guy who prefers to turn away and run away, so thought I'd ask...

If something were to happen and we were face to face and I used a knife in self defense is there a chance of me getting in trouble?

i am talking about charges being pressed against me because i didn't "try to drive off" which doesn't really work if someone is chasing you, but regardless...

any opinions?

H

hmmbrdzz

Hi spawnX: Yes, you can get in big trouble using a knife or any weapon for self defense, and the chances of going to jail for injuring someone with a weapon is 100%. Whether you get charged and/or convicted depends on what happened.

You should engage in deadly force ONLY if you must. Thugs know how to use knifes (and know how to take them away.)
I carry a cell phone and a loaded gun when I travel. I've never had to even consider using it, but I have a plan if I'm ever harassed or break down. I will place a call to the SHP and advise I need help. If, while waiting for help, someone begins approaching my vehicle, the very first thing I will say is: "I'm armed; I feel threatened; do not come closer or I'll shoot". I'm not letting a stranger (or two strangers) get close to my car if I can't get away for some reason. Armed only with a knife, I have no real chance of protection.

My advise to anyone traveling is: carry a cell phone; carry a weapon; if you're being harassed on the road or break down, place a call to the SHP (or at least try). If you have to protect yourself, then do it.

Here are some pretty good URLs.

http://www.sierratimes.com/archive/waters/edrw112800.htm

http://gunshop.clandeadgoat.net/handguns/real/real.htm

(This one might not pull up ? ? )

http://www.diac.com/~dgordon/site_map.html

Good luck.

hmmbrdzz

Last edited:

JETX

Just a quick 'reality check':
Do NOT make the decision to carry a weapon (of any kind) without considering ALL the facts, such as legal ramifications, psychological and even emotional.

1) Do NOT carry a weapon (or even have one in your vehicle) without having a permit or license (required in most states). If caught with a weapon on you or in your vehicle, you WILL face criminal charges.
2) Do NOT carry a weapon if you are not emotionally and psychologically prepared to use it. Simply, if you have made the choice to 'carry', you MUST be prepared to use it if needed. A huge percentage of people have been killed by their own weapon when it was taken away by the 'bad guy' because they just couldn't pull the trigger.
3) And not everyone can accept the fact that they have killed or seriously injured another. This WILL take a huge toll on your life.

And finally, if you have made the decision to carry a weapon, AND have gotten your license or permit, AND have made the decision that you will use it if needed...... get proper training... and always, always keep 'current' by going to the gun range once a month or so.

AmosMoses

"How good would the chances be of me getting in trouble for using a knife (stabing someone, but not to death) in self defense?

Was driving home from a concert today at 1am and was "bullied" on the road with 4 "thugs" in an SUV who just looked drunk.

I'm not the kind of guy who prefers to turn away and run away, so thought I'd ask...

If something were to happen and we were face to face and I used a knife in self defense is there a chance of me getting in trouble?

i am talking about charges being pressed against me because i didn't "try to drive off" which doesn't really work if someone is chasing you, but regardless..."

My answer:

First off, it's hard to get into a controlled altercation with 4 guys and a knife in which you can stab and have any idea of "not killing" someone...in fact, four guys may well take a knife from you and use it on you...be careful of that!

Second, if the "something" that happened was your doing in any way and you escalated the matter (say, pulled over to confront them), or even didn't take an available exit (say maybe, like you referred to, didn't simply drive off if you were able to), you have just thrown your self-defense argument out of the window. Whether or not you "prefer" to run away, you have a duty to do just that before you can use deadly force (and stabbing someone with a knife, no matter how "controlled" you think you can be with one is deadly force, plain and simple).

At any rate, if you are ever in a situation that involves something like this, you need to get away, as far away as fast as possible if you don't want to risk your freedom. If you just don't prefer to "run away", you can by all means use the knife if someone "bullies" you, but keep in mind that the chances of going to jail are very, very good, not to mention a big fat civil suit. I know you are not from NY, but does the name Bernard "Bernie" Goetz ring a bell?

JETX

There is a saying in Texas....
"Never bring a knife to a gunfight".

Meaning, in this day, you almost need to assume that the other guy has a gun.... so, your best defense is to avoid putting yourself into a position where you have to defend yourself.

spawn_x

well i am a good fighter but can't take on 4 people, hence why considered a knife.

i had a feeling that if i did confront them "I" would be basically escalating the matter, but yet it is against my nature to drive away..

Pretty unfair that those idiots can do whatever they want and the second somebody decides to confront them, they risk a chance of getting arrested and even having a lawsuit against them.

Pretty rediculous if you ask me.

M

Mike101

In this day and age using a knife is a poor choice. If your involved in a fight with someone and your using a knife your chance of receiving some kind of minor cut is likely. Then if the other person bleeds, blood is mixed.
Then those 3 letters come into play...HIV.

H

hmmbrdzz

You see -- a gun should be your first choice for "protection" for several reasons. You're likely to get sliced and diced and live through it and then die of AIDS! With a gun, you can slice and dice from 20 feet away and not worry too much about splatter, and if there is splatter -- your chances of getting HIV with no open wounds to you are about zilch.

hmmbrdzz

spawn_x

you're right, gun would be the #1 choice...

however i am afraid of the city to quickly jump on my neck in case i do use it with charges.

i do not want to be in a situation where i have to pay thousands of dollars for a lawyer in order to prove that i WAS defending myself against 4 hooligans who were under the influence of drugs..

guess if i was meant to become a "statistic" not much I can do huh?

H

hmmbrdzz

spawn_x said:
you're right, gun would be the #1 choice...

however i am afraid of the city to quickly jump on my neck in case i do use it with charges.

i do not want to be in a situation where i have to pay thousands of dollars for a lawyer in order to prove that i WAS defending myself against 4 hooligans who were under the influence of drugs..

guess if i was meant to become a "statistic" not much I can do huh?
====================================
Yes there is something you can do about it! There are ways to reduce your chances of becoming a "statistic". If you don't want to become a victim of crime, learn what crimes are occuring in your area and how you can minimize your chance of being a victim of those crimes. If staying away from concerts reduces your chances of being a victim, then there's one thing you can do right there -- stay away from concerts. Here's another example: In Louisiana right now, there is a serial killer on the loose. Women in LA are taking charge of their safety and reducing their risks of becoming this serial killer's next victim.

Everyone is responsible for their safety. Do you know what you would do if an intruder were to come into your home, or -- if you were attacked in a parking lot, or -- if your car broke down in a remote or dangerous area, or -- (as in your case) you are harassed by thugs on a roadway? You need to think about those things and have a plan. When you don't, that's when you increase your chances of becoming a statistic. In the situation you explained, things could have turned dangerous for you if those thugs had intentions of disabling your vehicle. It's incidents such as what happened to you that causes one to think: what will I do next time? With this incident apparently "shaking you up" to some degree (enough that you posted a note about a knife for protection), I think you need to take this opportunity to go learn about protection in the home and on the road. There's loads of info on the web; call the sheriff's department; ask, learn, be willing to reduce your chances of become a statistic.

hmmbrdzz

spawn_x

Agreed with all except for one:

stop going to concerts or even go less? I don't agree with that. I do not feel that I should restrict my life in any way. Los Angeles is not a 3rd world country (or city). I pay a lot of extra money to "live here", and to restrict that? Totally against it.

I'll call up the police station and see what advice they'll give me out of curiosity.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">