• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Seller might try to back out of purchase and sale contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kirnjohn

My husband and I entered in to a purchase and sale agreement (in CT) to purchase the seller's home (we are first time home buyers). The closing is scheduled for Monday, July 17th. About a week and a half ago I verbally agreed to purchase the seller's living room furniture for $1,000. Yesterday, I advised her that I changed my mind and am not purchasing her furniture. In response, she cancelled the walk through scheduled for tomorrow and stated to her agent that this issue needs to be settled by the attorneys before the closing and we could then do a walk through 1/2 hour before the closing. We are concerned that the seller will try to back out of the contract, or not show up to the closing, unless we purchase her furniture, which we have no intention of doing. If she does back out of the contract, is our only option to file a breach of contract lawsuit, and if we do file a lawsuit, is she estopped from selling the property to another buyer? Or would we be entitled only to damages, and what would those be? What rights to we have under the contract?

L

loudrich

You are pretty DUMB!

Refusing to buy the furniture 3 days before the closing. Geezzzzz

The seller had no intention of moving it, had NOT planned to get a uhaul and hire people to move it, has no place to put it,

And has NO TIME for a yard sale.....and probably bought new furniture...

SO buy the damn furniture and YOU have the yard sale....then the closing will be over and done with on Monday.

-----------------------------------------
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kirnjohn:
My husband and I entered in to a purchase and sale agreement (in CT) to purchase the seller's home (we are first time home buyers). The closing is scheduled for Monday, July 17th. About a week and a half ago I verbally agreed to purchase the seller's living room furniture for $1,000. Yesterday, I advised her that I changed my mind and am not purchasing her furniture. In response, she cancelled the walk through scheduled for tomorrow and stated to her agent that this issue needs to be settled by the attorneys before the closing and we could then do a walk through 1/2 hour before the closing. We are concerned that the seller will try to back out of the contract, or not show up to the closing, unless we purchase her furniture, which we have no intention of doing. If she does back out of the contract, is our only option to file a breach of contract lawsuit, and if we do file a lawsuit, is she estopped from selling the property to another buyer? Or would we be entitled only to damages, and what would those be? What rights to we have under the contract?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

K

kirnjohn

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by loudrich:
You are pretty DUMB!

The seller had no intention of moving it, had NOT planned to get a uhaul and hire people to move it, has no place to put it,

SO buy the damn furniture and YOU have the yard sale....then the closing will be over and done with on Monday.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hey LOUDRICH, Thanks for the words of wisdom...your grasp of real estate law shines through in spades!!! What my wife failed to mention was that if the seller had not delayed the closing which should have been friday....(their lawyer told us wed afternoon that he was too booked to do the closing friday---translation---seller wanted the whole weekend to move and not the date THEY originally chose)....we would own that ugly furniture and be painting our new house with our friends right now. Bottom line, they were in their rights to tell us closing would not happen 36hrs prior to assigned date(damn "time of the essence" clause) and we are within ours.

L

loudrich

YES i absolutly have a terrible grasp of the law...

But do you see the BIG difference in what you posted and the FULL story

My answer was totally correct for what you posted....they had no reason to move the furniture, and i assumed they had already moved and it was still there, they were counting on your $1000 to pay for their new furniture.

They had evey reason to be upset....and true you should have had the closing on friday, so it seems like your wife retalliated by refusing to buy the furniture and they retalliated by cancelling the walk thru, and let the lawyers settle it.

My answer is still correct....buy the damn fiurniture and its over.....I find it totally NUTS to think of paying a lawyer $1000 2000 even 3000 to fight over a $1000 set of furniture you can sell or give to a really needy family, through your church.

sounds like tit for tat to me

----------------------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kirnjohn:
Originally posted by loudrich:
You are pretty DUMB!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hey LOUDRICH, Thanks for the words of wisdom...your grasp of real estate law shines through in spades!!! What my wife failed to mention was that if the seller had not delayed the closing which should have been friday....(their lawyer told us wed afternoon that he was too booked to do the closing friday---translation---seller wanted the whole weekend to move and not the date THEY originally chose)....we would own that ugly furniture and be painting our new house with our friends right now. Bottom line, they were in their rights to tell us closing would not happen 36hrs prior to assigned date(damn "time of the essence" clause) and we are within ours.

K

kirnjohn

Thanks for your input, but we're looking for a LEGAL opinion.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by loudrich:
YES i absolutly have a terrible grasp of the law...

But do you see the BIG difference in what you posted and the FULL story

My answer was totally correct for what you posted....they had no reason to move the furniture, and i assumed they had already moved and it was still there, they were counting on your $1000 to pay for their new furniture.

They had evey reason to be upset....and true you should have had the closing on friday, so it seems like your wife retalliated by refusing to buy the furniture and they retalliated by cancelling the walk thru, and let the lawyers settle it.

My answer is still correct....buy the damn fiurniture and its over.....I find it totally NUTS to think of paying a lawyer $1000 2000 even 3000 to fight over a $1000 set of furniture you can sell or give to a really needy family, through your church.

sounds like tit for tat to me

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

T

Tracey

Seller's grasp of law is miniscule at best. The contracts to sell the home & to sell the furniture are separate. You can force S to close on the sale & can even get damages if closing is delayed by S's unilateral decision to cancel the walk-through. (You don't have to tell S that the delay worked in your favor!) The contract to buy the furniture is voidable by either party. The statute of frauds requires contracts for the sale of goods (furniture) to be in writing if the contract price is over $500. [CT Statutes, Sec. 42a-2-201] Either party can back out of a verbal contract over $500 for any reason.

Print out the law or xerox a copy at the library & send it to S with written notice that you're exercising your option to void the verbal contract, but still demand S close on schedule. Further inform S that any further delay in closing will cause you to sue S for damages. As to your rights under the contract, how the heck should we know? We can't read it from here! :)

If S doesn't close & you want to prevent S from selling to anyone else, record the purchase & sale contract on S's parcel number at the county recorder's office. That will cloud title & prevent any escrow company from issuing title insurance or approving financing on the house. You can then sue S for breach & demand specific performance, which you'll get. You'll also be reimbursed for your attorney fees & costs if the contract awards attorney fees to the prevailing party.

Here's the statute of frauds.

Sec. 42a-2-201. Formal requirements; statute of frauds.

(1) Except as otherwise provided in this section a contract for the sale of goods for the price of five hundred dollars or more is not enforceable by way of action or defense unless there is some writing sufficient to indicate that a contract for sale has been made between the parties and signed by the party against whom enforcement is sought or by his authorized agent or broker. A writing is not insufficient because it omits or incorrectly states a term agreed upon but the contract is not enforceable under this paragraph beyond the quantity of goods shown in such writing. (2) Between merchants if within a reasonable time a writing in confirmation of the contract and sufficient against the sender is received and the party receiving it has reason to know its contents, it satisfies the requirements of subsection (1) against such party unless written notice of objection to its contents is given within ten days after it is received. (3) A contract which does not satisfy the requirements of subsection (1) but which is valid in other respects is enforceable (a) if the goods are to be specially manufactured for the buyer and are not suitable for sale to others in the ordinary course of the seller's business and the seller, before notice of repudiation is received and under circumstances which reasonably indicate that the goods are for the buyer, has made either a substantial beginning of their manufacture or commitments for their procurement; or (b) if the party against whom enforcement is sought admits in his pleading, testimony or otherwise in court that a contract for sale was made, but the contract is not enforceable under this provision beyond the quantity of goods admitted; or (c) with respect to goods for which payment has been made and accepted or which have been received and accepted as provided by section 42a-2-606.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

[This message has been edited by Tracey (edited July 16, 2000).]

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tracey:
Seller's grasp of law is miniscule at best. The contracts to sell the home & to sell the furniture are separate. You can force S to close on the sale & can even get damages if closing is delayed by S's unilateral decision to cancel the walk-through. (You don't have to tell S that the delay worked in your favor!) The contract to buy the furniture is voidable by either party. The statute of frauds requires contracts for the sale of goods (furniture) to be in writing if the contract price is over $500. [CT Statutes, Sec. 42a-2-201] Either party can back out of a verbal contract over $500 for any reason.

Print out the law or xerox a copy at the library & send it to S with written notice that you're exercising your option to void the verbal contract, but still demand S close on schedule. Further inform S that any further delay in closing will cause you to sue S for damages. As to your rights under the contract, how the heck should we know? We can't read it from here! :)

If S doesn't close & you want to prevent S from selling to anyone else, record the purchase & sale contract on S's parcel number at the county recorder's office. That will cloud title & prevent any escrow company from issuing title insurance or approving financing on the house. You can then sue S for breach & demand specific performance, which you'll get. You'll also be reimbursed for your attorney fees & costs if the contract awards attorney fees to the prevailing party.

(1) Except as otherwise provided in this section a contract for the sale of goods for the price of five hundred dollars or more is not enforceable by way of action or defense unless there is some writing sufficient to indicate that a contract for sale has been made between the parties and signed by the party against whom enforcement is sought or by his authorized agent or broker. A writing is not insufficient because it omits or incorrectly states a term agreed upon but the contract is not enforceable under this paragraph beyond the quantity of goods shown in such writing. (2) Between merchants if within a reasonable time a writing in confirmation of the contract and sufficient against the sender is received and the party receiving it has reason to know its contents, it satisfies the requirements of subsection (1) against such party unless written notice of objection to its contents is given within ten days after it is received. (3) A contract which does not satisfy the requirements of subsection (1) but which is valid in other respects is enforceable (a) if the goods are to be specially manufactured for the buyer and are not suitable for sale to others in the ordinary course of the seller's business and the seller, before notice of repudiation is received and under circumstances which reasonably indicate that the goods are for the buyer, has made either a substantial beginning of their manufacture or commitments for their procurement; or (b) if the party against whom enforcement is sought admits in his pleading, testimony or otherwise in court that a contract for sale was made, but the contract is not enforceable under this provision beyond the quantity of goods admitted; or (c) with respect to goods for which payment has been made and accepted or which have been received and accepted as provided by section 42a-2-606.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amen

K

kirnjohn

Tracey: Thank you very much for your response. My husband and I feel much more comfortable now going into this closing, which we hope will occur tomorrow. Thanks for statute, too -- we appreciate you taking the time to answer.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tracey:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">