• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Seller would like occasional access to vacation home after sale

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jonoduya

Hello,
I am looking at buying a vacation home privately. The seller would like occasional access to the vacation home after I've bought it. Has anyone ever observed such a condition before? I'm curious if it's something that can be included in a contract and if the clause would need to be very specific (example on specific dates/times). Also unsure how it would work if we sell the vacation home later on.
Thanks,
Johnny O.

Just Blue

Hello,
I am looking at buying a vacation home privately. The seller would like occasional access to the vacation home after I've bought it. Has anyone ever observed such a condition before? I'm curious if it's something that can be included in a contract and if the clause would need to be very specific (example on specific dates/times). Also unsure how it would work if we sell the vacation home later on.
Thanks,
Johnny O.
What state?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
No matter what the state (or country, for that matter), this sounds like a recipe for disaster. Sure, it could work, but it's much more likely that you will end up regretting it.

zddoodah

Has anyone ever observed such a condition before?
I've never "observed such a condition" and have no idea if anyone else has done so.

I'm curious if it's something that can be included in a contract
A contract is limited only by the parties' imaginations.

and if the clause would need to be very specific (example on specific dates/times).
More specificity makes for greater ease of enforcement in the event of an alleged breach.

Also unsure how it would work if we sell the vacation home later on.
It will work however the contract says, but this is one of the many things you should think about when considering whether you really want to buy this particular home. If you do, it would behoove you to retain legal counsel to make sure the contract says what you want it to say. Otherwise, I like "doucar's" suggestion.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Hello,
Thanks,
Johnny O.
It certainly can be done, and there are several ways to do it. Which way you go will determine the exact extent of the right of access he has and whether the provision runs with the land and is enforceable against future buyers. I will tell you this, I would not agree to any such request and would pass on the purchase if the owner insists on that condition. While you might not object to that kind of access now, in a few years things may change and you could very well end up regretting ever agreeing to it.

STEPHAN

If you are renting it out you could give the seller credit for later, but have him use the normal booking process.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">