• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Selling items when owner is in nursing home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pele

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

I live in Hawaii. I recently had to use my power of attorney regarding health care to have my mother put in a nursing home due to continuing hypertensive crises and hospitalizations, and noncompliance with blood pressure medication. Her physician says she can no longer live alone. I will be in NC in a week to clean out her apartment. She is 97, but is still able to make decisons. She does have some funds that will support her in the skilled living center, which she has been moved to. These funds will last for about a year. I also have financial power of attorney. Her attorney says the funds from anything I sell must go to her, or Medicaid will come after me for it. I don't understand this, since, she is not on Medicaid as of yet. She is able to understand and make decisions. There are some antiques which have been in the family for a long time. I cannot take them back to Hawaii. How can Medicaid control what we do as a family, before she is even eligible for Medicaid? The decision will be up to her, I do not intend in any way to sell these things without her knowledge. So, if she, in fact, says I can have these items, and I sell them, can Medicaid still come after me?

Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">