• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Separate COBRA continuation election

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Good afternoon! I had health coverage under my ex-wife's group plan, she was laid off a few weeks ago, and offered COBRA. I know that both of her and I, as qualified beneficiaries, have a right to separate decisions as to whether to waive the COBRA coverage, but do our elections have to be made at the same time (she wants to waive her coverage, while I am undecided and would like to sit on it for a while before deciding whether I want COBRA for myself or not). Cannot find an answer for that so far, could anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance. I am in Massachusetts, if it makes any difference.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Did you receive separate notices? If you did, then it shouldn't make any difference if you answer together or separately.

If you received a single notice addressed to both of you, you still can answer separately, but the first one to respond should make it clear that they are responding only for themselves and not for the other beneficiary(ies).

While legally you have the right to respond separately no matter how you received your notification AND the right to change your mind as long as you're still in the COBRA enrollment window, logistically it's only polite to let the administrator know who is responding for who.

Thank you cbg, you are awesome, glad you are still here, I noticed over the years you were one of the people on this forum who knew what they were talking about. (I was here asking q's from time to time, under a different handle that I had forgotten).

I have not received a notice, my ex did, and I have not seen it. I will write her an email tomorrow asking for a copy of the notice and I will be communicating with the administrator on my own.

Glad to help. Let me know if you need more information.
Thank you - I will ask you, if need be. I do expect some tension with my ex around this issue: she is (softly thus far) pushing me to waive the coverage. She told me this morning (after initially omitting this) that her company gave her 6 months of COBRA premiums in cash, as a part of her severance package. I think she is concerned that if I elect to continue COBRA on my own, the US Gov't will end up paying my COBRA premiums under the new American Rescue Plan, and she then will be asked to reimburse her company or the Gov't the almost $10K she had gotten from her employer toward those premiums, while (naturally) she wants to keep those in her pocket.

So I plan to get in touch with her COBRA admin tomorrow and let them know I will be handling my own election indecently and in the manner of my own liking.

Thank you - I will ask you, if need be. I do expect some tension with my ex around this issue: she is (softly thus far) pushing me to waive the coverage. She told me this morning (after initially omitting this) that her company gave her 6 months of COBRA premiums in cash, as a part of her severance package. I think she is concerned that if I elect to continue COBRA on my own, the US Gov't will end up paying my COBRA premiums under the new American Rescue Plan, and she then will be asked to reimburse her company or the Gov't the almost $10K she had gotten from her employer toward those premiums, while (naturally) she wants to keep those in her pocket.

So I plan to get in touch with her COBRA admin tomorrow and let them know I will be handling my own election indecently and in the manner of my own liking.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I think that's wise.

COBRA is a Federal law that applies in all states. However, if you were in a lot of other states, you would not have been allowed to continue on her coverage after the divorce. In the long run, I think you're best off keeping your coverage separate from hers.

Yes I am aware how MA is different in that regard, I was able to stay on my ex's health plan for 4.5 years at a minimal cost, and she had a great plan.
So I am looking for a different plan, but the options aren't so great - at my work we have a lousy plan that does not have good hospitals ( MGH/BWH) in the network, and good Health Connector Plans are very expensive at age 62. I have 3 years before I qualify for Medicare. Might have to marry my present partner to get on her (half- decent) plan with high deductible and HSA. Don't see what other options I have. I am by no means wealthy but make too much to qualify for subsidies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">