• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Separation and money in joint account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Just4thekids

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

My soon to be ex-husband took out all the money out of our joint bank account, over 11k. Did he break the law? What recourse do I have?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
We have already started the process and things were going fine, so I thought. I discovered the missing money last week.
Thanks for not answering the question.

Have you FILED for divorce? Because, if you have, then what your ex did likely violated court orders.

ETA: In addition to filing, has the respondent been served?

ETA Again: If the suit has been filed and the respondent was served, did the withdrawal occur before or after that point?

mistoffolees

We have already started the process and things were going fine, so I thought. I discovered the missing money last week.
Make sure you keep copies of the account info. He will have to account for the money in the divorce. That money was 1/2 yours.

ETA:
That's assuming that you do file pretty quickly. In most states, there's a 'look-back' period and any assets disposed of in the few weeks or months before the divorce is filed are treated as marital property.

Last edited:

Just4thekids

Thanks for not answering the question.

Have you FILED for divorce? Because, if you have, then what your ex did likely violated court orders.

ETA: In addition to filing, has the respondent been served?

ETA Again: If the suit has been filed and the respondent was served, did the withdrawal occur before or after that point?
No, we have not FILED yet, we just started the process, currently we have our own attorney's, but nothing has be done per the courts.

I have left my attorney several messages on this matter and have not received a response.

Zigner

No, we have not FILED yet, we just started the process, currently we have our own attorney's, but nothing has be done per the courts.

I have left my attorney several messages on this matter and have not received a response.
Your husband has done nothing wrong.

Zigner

Fixed it a bit.:cool:

It was a scandalous thing to do
but not illegal.
Really? Maybe it was all HIS money that went in there ;) Not scandalous (imo), and not illegal. Maybe a bit questionable and definitely something to be addressed in the divorce.

Antigone*

Really? Maybe it was all HIS money that went in there ;) Not scandalous (imo), and not illegal. Maybe a bit questionable and definitely something to be addressed in the divorce.
Zig, honey, we live in Cali;) As Eddie taught Umfufu to say: "I want half, Eddie":D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">