• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

separation papers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gwen74

What is the name of your state? nc
My husband signed a separation paper with his ex and her lawyer. They state that his children are to be kept the beneficiaries of his life insurance policy, as well as many other crazy things. How do we have these papers and all of the agreements in them voided? His ex is mean and causes us problems every way she can. I love my step-children very much and would take care of them as well as our daughter if anything was to ever happen to him. At this point his ex would get all of the money, and myself and ourdaughter would be on the streets.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
It's actually pretty standard to have the kids remain as beneficiaries on *a* life insurance policy - it's a way of insuring that should he pass away prematurely, the children are supported. Honestly? No judge is likely to take you at your say-so that you'll take care of your step-kids. HOWEVER, most people take out a term life insurance policy to cover only the time period until the support is supposed to end. You may want to look into that as opposed to having them remain on his primary insurance.

Not knowing what the other "crazy" things might be, I can't comment on them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">