• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Settlement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zonk1972

What is the name of your state? NJ

My father passed away in 1989 from asbestos tumor. We filed claim and received unscheduled settlements over the years. My mother is the name on all the checks. Well, last year she broke her hip, and since we all work, she is in a health care home. She also has some dementia. My sister does have power of attorney. My mother did not have money in bank at time of her going in the home so, they just take her social security check at the home for payment. Well, she received a settlement check yesterday. Does the home have rights to take the money from her? Can my sister sign the check since she has power of attorney and can the money be put in the bank instead of given to the home?

moburkes

What is the name of your state? NJ

My father passed away in 1989 from asbestos tumor. We filed claim and received unscheduled settlements over the years. My mother is the name on all the checks. Well, last year she broke her hip, and since we all work, she is in a health care home. She also has some dementia. My sister does have power of attorney. My mother did not have money in bank at time of her going in the home so, they just take her social security check at the home for payment. Well, she received a settlement check yesterday. Does the home have rights to take the money from her? Can my sister sign the check since she has power of attorney and can the money be put in the bank instead of given to the home?
You need to notify SS of the check.

zonk1972

After I notify Social Security, would they then take the money? Actaully, the lawsuit was filed in Pennsylvania and we also have to pay the PA Inheritance Tax. She lives in NJ but, filed in PA. I am sorry for the error.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">