• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

severance package

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Linawin

What is the name of your state? Dallas

I'm currently working as a full time worker. we are no longer getting our 40 hours/week due to a decreased in contracts that we have now. Company options to use our PTO to make up for the 40 hours or go to their other business branch to pick up hours where work are not comparable. Other workers had been offered severance package while some are not. Do we have a case for this to pursue it? Will this be a case of unfairness/discrimination on the part of the employer?

Last edited:

Just Blue

What is the name of your state? Dallas

I'm currently working as a full time worker. we are no longer getting our 40 hours/week due to a decreased in contracts that we have now. Company options to use our PTO to make up for the 40 hours or go to their other business branch to pick up hours where work are not comparable. Other workers had been offered severance package while some are not. Do we have a case for this to pursue it? Will this be a case of unfairness/discrimination on the part of the employer?
To clarify: You think you are being illegally discriminated against because you are not offered a severance pkg?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Severance is not required by law in 47 out of 50 states and is not required by law under the circumstances you've described in the three states where it sometimes is. Severance is generally only offered, when it is offered, to employees who are losing their jobs altogether and not to employees who may be having their hours cut or being transferred.

The law does not care if something is unfair since "fair" can be very subjective. The law only cares if something is illegal. So no, you have no legal options based on it being unfair.

On what basis is it determined who is given severance and who is not? Is there any across-the-board feature all the people who are (or are not) have in common?

zddoodah

Do we have a case for this to pursue it?
I'm not sure what sort of "case" you're talking about or who exactly "we" are. Nothing you described is illegal unless the company is offering severance on some prohibited basis (e.g., race, ethnicity, gender, etc.).

Will this be a case of unfairness/discrimination on the part of the employer?
There's no such thing as "a case of unfairness" (or, more accurately, whether or not something is or isn't subjectively "unfair" isn't legally actionable). As far as discrimination, again, it depends on the basis on which the discrimination is occurring. Most discrimination is legal.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
What is the state of Dallas's laws on the situation? The city of Dallas is located in
Well, you can scratch Dallas, Colorado off that list. There once was a Dallas, Colorado but today it's a ghost town. There is a home owner's community now located there called Dallas Meadows, however. The founding of the nearby town of Ridgway killed off Dallas.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Technically, the Dallas in Maine is called Dallas Plantation, population 309.

I will grant, however, that of the states listed, Maine is the only one where severance is ever required by law. Not in the OP's situation, however.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">