• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sex offender registry mistake

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JustAPal00

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

My fiancee owns a townhome in PA. I stay there about 4 nights a week, but as soon as we are married I will be moving in. A couple years ago we discovered that a registered sex offender owned the home prior to her. She has owned the home over nine years. When you do a search on almost all registries for her zip code, his name and her address comes up. We have contacted the police both here and in the state where this offender was convicted to try to get the data base corrected. Both of us fear that if anyone else in the neighborhood does a search, they will think it is me. This is kind of a small town, and we don't want any nasty rumors to start or for people to spread rumors that I am a sex offender.

I realize that as of now, we have no damages but is this something we could hire a lawyer to handle and hope to recover our legal fees?

Does anyone know if there is a central database somewhere that we could contact to get this corrected?

Are sexual preditors required to be registered for the rest of their lives and keep that data current?

He still lives in the area according to his Facebook page, we are willing to track him down if necessary. Thanks in advance for any help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">