• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

sexual assault by off duty cop/family friend?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pamela vandi

depends on police dept.

Yes, your girlfriend can report the incident to the police. If the police department is honest, they will add your girlfriend's complaint to the cop's file and do an honest investigation. If your police department is corrupt, they will try to discredit your girlfriend and they will put her on a list of loonies that many police depts secretly keep. If your girlfriend is on the cops' loony list, they will continue to discredit her in the future. If she is assaulted again, they will not conduct a proper investigation ( if she is on their "loony list").

Local example: The police department where I live caught a cop on their own videotape at the police station beating up a "suspect." To the police dept's credit, they did not try to cover up the crime. The "suspect," who was there for disturbing the peace, successfully sued the police dept. They settled out of court. The cop lost his job, and pled guilty in federal court to charges relating to the assault. He was sentenced to time in a halfway house (around 6 months), anger management, etc.

I am not an attorney. I hope this info is useful.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">