• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shared parenting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Shr00m

What is the name of your state? MI

I was just in court today to establish support for my 3.75 year old daughter ($610/m). My attorney was only able to get joint legal custody because my daughters mother woudn't agree to shared parenting. I forget the term he used, but he put in a request to have the Friend of the Court do an investigation into option of me having more parenting time than 3 days every other weekend. So the I guess the original order that was put in place today is 'temporary'.

My question is, what exactly is this 'investigation' and what do they do?

TinkerBelleLuvr

chances are that means the FOC will send both of you to see a psychologist off their list who will evaluate the both of you individually and with the child. The costs are established using a sliding scale based on your wages. After all that, then you get to go back in front of the referee/judge who will make a decision based on the evaluation.

Suggestion: don't disparage the other party. :D

Shr00m

chances are that means the FOC will send both of you to see a psychologist off their list who will evaluate the both of you individually and with the child. The costs are established using a sliding scale based on your wages. After all that, then you get to go back in front of the referee/judge who will make a decision based on the evaluation.

Suggestion: don't disparage the other party. :D
Well my situation is this:

Daughters mother and myself had lived together in a house I purchased when my daughter was born (roughly 2.5 years), we were never married. My daughter has her own room and bed. I quit smoking 6 months ago. I'm a clean freak and I keep my house very clean and since its new construction its very modern and good living conditions. I have had a DUI and do have some drinking problems but I've not broke any type of laws since than and I do not drink in excess when I am with my daughter.

My daugthers mother had to move back in with her parents. She is living in a 3 bedroom house with 7 people including everyone. I don't agree with the living conditions there since the house is small with so many people. My daughters mother and her siblings she lives with all have depression problems and are on medication. My daughters mother started smoking about 8 months ago.

One last problem, she lives about 30 minutes away from me. We are not in the same school district. But on the other hand she wants to send her to a private Catholic school an additional 20 minutes away anyway, which I don't agree with.

I'm looking for advice. These are the major issues that envolve myself and my daughters mother right now. Like you stated above, bad mouthing daughters mother will get me know where. I'm looking for suggestions with the given situation. Also, how do the courts react to shared parenting/school districts etc?

thanks for your input!

gabriella1

One person will evaluate you. Ask for joint, if that is what you want. 50/50, however I have never thought 50/50 is in the best interst of the chilod.

What county do u reside in?

They evaluate on the 13 best interest of the child. DO not lie, if they ask if you did drugs, answer truthfully, they will hair test you. If they ask you if you drink, tell the truth. Do alcohol testing to prove you are not drinking, do not wait to be court ordered to do it.

If caught in a lie you get nothing.

Because you asked for more time that is why you are being evaluated. Get loads of letters from friends and family for references. They ask for three, go in with 50.

Do not speak bad about the mother.

Anything you bring up about the mother, you better have evidence.

They do not send you for psych evals. It takes around 6-8 weeks for eval, then you take to the ref, then to the judge if you do not like what the ref says.

Proof is in the pudding!

Why on earth would your attorney not prepe you for this one? Take your attorney with you for the interview, do not go alone.

Last edited:

TinkerBelleLuvr

Michigan favors "Joint Legal Custody".

Study up the 14 points of custody and learn them well.
http://www.accesskent.com/CourtsAndLawEnforcement/FriendoftheCourt/pdfs/Child_Custody_Factors.pdf

Those factors are the ones that will be used to 'evaluate' you both.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I have had a DUI and do have some drinking problems but I've not broke any type of laws since than and I do not drink in excess when I am with my daughter.
Frankly? It might be better if you resolve to simply not drink at all when with the child.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">