• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shoplifting department store

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alexiskm

undefinedWhat is the name of your state? Massachusetts

Yesterday on my way out I filenes with a camcorder(cost 349.00) I was shoplifting, I was asked to return to store by Loss Prevention Officer.

He asked me to remove the item I stole which I did. then I signed a paper agreeing not to come into Filenes for one yr. Then signed a paper for the item I stole. The local police were called, in the meantime I repeatedly asked to call my husband to come pick up our child the filenes employee refused me this option. He said I would be arrested and bail was denied on wknds so I would need to spend the wknd in the jailhouse. One hr later the police showed up, ran my license and sent me home stating I would recieve a summons in the mail.

What will happen to me? Should I try to retain a lawyer before the summons. The employee also took my paid purchases, although I had receipts for them. He says they have video tape of my stealing other things in the past and I used the merchandise credit to purchase the items, so he took these and at first tried t get me to sign a blank page, stating hed fill in all the items. I didnt sign it until he filled in the camcorder only !? How long do stores keep video survelliance, b/c I havent stolen from the store before. In fact just two wks before at the same store, I reported a girl who ran out of the same store with a floor model Dyson vacuum, came in a gave them her license number/make model of car!

Another concern is I am on probation for one yr CWOF for forging a check from my parents account back in 2001-the case was final pleaded out in May 2005. Will this shoplifting incident land me in jail?

Happy Trails

alexiskm said:

Yesterday on my way out I filenes with a camcorder(cost 349.00) I was shoplifting, I was asked to return to store by Loss Prevention Officer.

He asked me to remove the item I stole which I did. then I signed a paper agreeing not to come into Filenes for one yr. Then signed a paper for the item I stole. The local police were called, in the meantime I repeatedly asked to call my husband to come pick up our child the filenes employee refused me this option. He said I would be arrested and bail was denied on wknds so I would need to spend the wknd in the jailhouse. One hr later the police showed up, ran my license and sent me home stating I would recieve a summons in the mail.

What will happen to me? Should I try to retain a lawyer before the summons. The employee also took my paid purchases, although I had receipts for them. He says they have video tape of my stealing other things in the past and I used the merchandise credit to purchase the items, so he took these and at first tried t get me to sign a blank page, stating hed fill in all the items. I didnt sign it until he filled in the camcorder only !? How long do stores keep video survelliance, b/c I havent stolen from the store before. In fact just two wks before at the same store, I reported a girl who ran out of the same store with a floor model Dyson vacuum, came in a gave them her license number/make model of car!

Another concern is I am on probation for one yr CWOF for forging a check from my parents account back in 2001-the case was final pleaded out in May 2005. Will this shoplifting incident land me in jail?
If you are convicted the penalty for a first offense can be up to 2 1/2 years in jail and/or a fine of up to a $1000. You need an attorney, the fact that you are already are on probation and then committed another crime isn't going to help you much.

You can also expect the merchant to be sending you a civil fine. They can actually recover up to $500 beyond the actual damages.

alexiskm

Where can I find a reputable lawyer, would it need to be a criminal lawyer?
I am unemployed, can I just try and make ammends with the DA of the court?

Happy Trails

alexiskm said:
Can't help you much there. If you can't afford an attorney one will be appointed for you (providing you meet the requirements). Try your yellow pages, google or https://attorneypages.com/.

Yes, you are looking for a criminal defense attorney, since stealing is a crime.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
alexiskm said:
Does your husband work? They'll base your ability to pay for an attorney on the household income - not just yours.

alexiskm said:

Wait a second....you mean to tell me you reported someone else for stealing and then you turn around and do the same???

whitey10

sorry to change the subject

please could u help me out i have to set up a business for an assignment and im totally stuck what would be some things i need to know to set up a legal practice i need figures for pay and such things. thankyou so much

JarMow

Busted!

I see that the LPO "asked" you to return to the store.

You probably should have just sprinted away through the parking lot, crossed a busy highway while wildly dodging traffic, and come to rest in a McDonalds bathroom where you hide on a toilet in a locked stall for the next 2.5 hours.

Thats what I did, anyway. But yeah, you should get an attorney for this one.

P.S. - There have been too many posts from would be shoplifters who have been caught. Listen people, because I'm only going to say this once. If you get "asked" to come back inside (even if they are waving candy) or followed by security, you should do the right thing.

RUN! Run, run like the dickens. Get to that parking lot! Run across car hoods, knock down screaming old women, and zig zag. Get those gray XXXL sweatpants sweaty! Scream at the top of your lungs "Help!" or "Robbery!" or "I'm being kidnapped!". The bigger the scene the better. I don't know of one single person who doesn't love watching a great chaotic footchase through the Wal-Mart parking lot.

Now, keep running! Your almost home! Resist the urge to "surrender" or "give up", as you will only create more trouble for yourself in the end because this means you will be caught. Get across those busy intersections! Dance through the swerving and tire screeching traffic! I'll bet security doesn't want that digital camera or designer perfume as much as you! Once across a major highway or interstate, you should be home free. If you are still being pursed by an overzealous LPO, just hand back the merchandise, and shake hands and thank him for the rush of your life. He will be glad you did! Heck, he may even let you keep the item!

Last edited:

alexiskm

Do department stores have cameras in their restrooms?

How long do they keep video survelliance of the store?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">