• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I pay alimony

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwmi

What is the name of your state (AL)?
My wife will get the two kids of ages of 12 and 13. I will pay the child support about 2100/mon. My question is on the alimony. She makes about 53,000/year and I make abot 160,000/year and we have married for 19 years. Shall I pay the alimony? if so, why?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (AL)?
My wife will get the two kids of ages of 12 and 13. I will pay the child support about 2100/mon. My question is on the alimony. She makes about 53,000/year and I make abot 160,000/year and we have married for 19 years. Shall I pay the alimony? if so, why?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
If the court orders alimony, you should pay it.

Why would you think that it's optional?

iwmi

If the court orders alimony, you should pay it.

Why would you think that it's optional?
That does nothing to my queries.

Why could court make the order? that was my question. She has stable job and make good money. I support the major portion of the child support. why should I?

Proserpina

Why could court make the order? that was my question. She has stable job and make good money. I support the major portion of the child support. why should I?

...because that's what the court can order.

And if the court orders that because of the length of your marriage and the VAST disparity in earnings that she should receive alimony...then that's why and what you pay. Really, yours isn't a legal question.

iwmi

...because that's what the court can order.

And if the court orders that because of the length of your marriage and the VAST disparity in earnings that she should receive alimony...then that's why and what you pay. Really, yours isn't a legal question.
Thanks. Do you think based the info roughly how much per month and how long I may obligate?

Proserpina

Thanks. Do you think based the info roughly how much per month and how long I may obligate?
(This link takes you to an attorney site - I have no affiliation with the site at all)

http://www.millenniumdivorce.com/articles/Alabama-Alimony.asp

You may need to be prepared for the possibility of paying for a long time - if nor permanently.

But much will depend on the circumstances, such as what your wife is capable of earning (perhaps opposed to what she actually earns now); your ages; your education...

..and then again, it's possible that no alimony would be ordered.

Nobody can really guess.

But if I was a gambling woman, I'd expect you to be paying at least something for quite some time.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member

Well, that really was NOT your question. You asked if you should pay it. That came across that it has been ordered, and you're wondering if you should pay it or not. The answer to that is, of course, yes.

If you're asking whether it will be ordered? I doubt anyone can give you a definitive answer. It's possible that you will be ordered. I suspect you won't be, but it's possible.

mistoffolees

Well, that really was NOT your question. You asked if you should pay it. That came across that it has been ordered, and you're wondering if you should pay it or not. The answer to that is, of course, yes.
Exactly.

If you're asking whether it will be ordered? I doubt anyone can give you a definitive answer. It's possible that you will be ordered. I suspect you won't be, but it's possible.
Really? You suspect there won't be an alimony order? 19 year marriage, wife making $53 K, husband making $160 K? It seems to me that it would be very likely that there would be at least some spousal support - maybe substantial. I would think that north of $1,000 a month for at least 4-5 years would probably be about right.

LdiJ

Exactly.

Really? You suspect there won't be an alimony order? 19 year marriage, wife making $53 K, husband making $160 K? It seems to me that it would be very likely that there would be at least some spousal support - maybe substantial. I would think that north of $1,000 a month for at least 4-5 years would probably be about right.
While its possible, and maybe even probable, the wife does earn more than a living wage, so I think that makes it less than guaranteed. Child support might also reduce if their incomes were more equalized.

mistoffolees

While its possible, and maybe even probable, the wife does earn more than a living wage, so I think that makes it less than guaranteed.
I never said it was guaranteed.

But my ex made more than OP's ex - and still collected 6 figures of alimony over a few years.

Now, it does turn out that AL is a little stricter than some states in determination of alimony and favors cases where one person is dependent on the other, but I would think that given the big disparity, OP should plan on paying something. If he doesn't, then it's just a bonus.

LdiJ

I never said it was guaranteed.

But my ex made more than OP's ex - and still collected 6 figures of alimony over a few years.

Now, it does turn out that AL is a little stricter than some states in determination of alimony and favors cases where one person is dependent on the other, but I would think that given the big disparity, OP should plan on paying something. If he doesn't, then it's just a bonus.
I agree with that.

I also meant to point out that it sounded a bit to me like english is OP's second language, and that might be the cause of the "should I pay?" question.

iwmi

I also have a different question but do not want to start a different thread. I have an S Corporation, I am the sole owner and it was established after the marriage. My income is from the S corp. After the expenses and some of the taxes the gross income is about 160,000 (wage + profit). I put the wage/monthly into the joint bank account with my wife and the profit into my S corp bank accounts.
My company has no debts. I just start to work out the uncontested divorce with my wife. I think of 50/50 for all banking accounts which include my S corp banking accounts.
My question is that is she entitled the 50% of the S corporation though she has not been any part of?

LdiJ

I also have a different question but do not want to start a different thread. I have an S Corporation, I am the sole owner and it was established after the marriage. My income is from the S corp. After the expenses and some of the taxes the gross income is about 160,000 (wage + profit). I put the wage/monthly into the joint bank account with my wife and the profit into my S corp bank accounts.
My company has no debts. I just start to work out the uncontested divorce with my wife. I think of 50/50 for all banking accounts which include my S corp banking accounts.
My question is that is she entitled the 50% of the S corporation though she has not been any part of?
Yes, because it is a marital asset. However, the value of the S-corp would depend greatly on the nature of its business and the amount of undistributed profits the S-corp has. If it is the type of business with few assets other than undistributed profits, and your efforts, then 1/2 of the undistributed profits might be the only true value the business has. If it is a true bricks and mortar operation that would be of equal value with or without your particular efforts, then it may have a much greater value.

ecmst12

Sounds to me like your wife should own half your business and get half the profits forever. She'd probably be willing to accept that instead of alimony - that way if the business doesn't do so well somewhere down the line, you won't be on the hook for a flat amount of alimony. Also means if you sell the business in the future, she'll get half the money but you'll have no further obligations beyond that (other than child support if the children are still minors).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">