• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I rent to them?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I'm a landlord who is currently taking applications for rental of my townhouse. I recieved an application from a family that has some credit issues and did not provide the contact info for their current landlord. There is some bad blood between them and the landlord, because according to them, there is a tax lien on the house and the landlord will not renew their lease (i suppose because the house may go into foreclosure?). Apparently, the landlord will not give them a good reference- supposedly because of the bad blood. I told them that without being able to at least verify their rental payment history and care of the house with the landlord, there is no way I can rent to them, especially given their credit issue.

Any advice?

Gail in Georgia

You've already made your decision.

Set your criteria regarding credit history, employment history, criminal background, previous landlord reviews...and stick with it.

Gail

Alaska landlord

You already have correctly determined that these are problem tenants. Should you decide to look deeper into their rental history, you will find the same problems with each of their previous LLs.

Wait for the good tenant and it will save you money in the long run.

MIRAKALES

Tenants with LL excuses and poor credit are presumed to be non-paying tenants.
Advice: Request verification of the last three (3) rental payments and rest assured they will not be forthcoming. Or, if provided, the rent payments will either not be legitimate (forged) or will be excessively late. Obtain LL’s information from last documented address on the applicant’s credit report. Call LL to confirm information provided by tenant. Check court records for prior or recently initiated eviction proceedings.

A tax lien will not necessarily be cause for property foreclosure.
It would make more sense to maintain a quality financial tenant relationship if LL is in financial difficulty.

Excellent advice. Thanks to all of you not just for this post, but also for the helpful replies to the many posts I have made on this forum!

Cvillecpm

PASS - ask the questions on MrLandlord Q&A

Always run a credit report for ALL adult applicants; NEVER accept a no past landlord excuse; if possible, make a quick stop at their current rental home to check for their housekeeping habits; ALWAYS check your local court case for any suits - very easy to do AND

Never take friends
Never take relatives
Never take friends of relatives
Never take co-workers.

Landlording is a BUSINESS. Learning on the job will get EXPENSIVE

Alaska landlord

Ditto that!

Will only add that never make friends of your tenants. Once you do, your judgment will become clouded.

Don't discuss personal or business topics with your tenants.

Don't hire your tenants, and definitely don't negotiate rent for work. They will take the discount and the work will never be done.

Don't let them know where you live. If state mandates that you supply an address, see if a PO box will do.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">