• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I talk to Internal Affairs If they question me about my complaint or case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

grishid

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

When the police conduct has been reported to internal affairs and the case is still pending, is it recommended for me to speak with the internal affairs division if they call me and want to question me regarding my complaint? I don't think it is but i want another recommendation and explaining to why. Will internal affairs use that against me if i say something wrong?

Thanks!

I asked left a message to my attorney till he responds i would like couple suggestions and explanation .

john39

When the police conduct has been reported to internal affairs and the case is still pending, is it recommended for me to speak with the internal affairs division if they call me and want to question me regarding my complaint? I don't think it is but i want another recommendation and explaining to why. Will internal affairs use that against me if i say something wrong?

Thanks!

I asked left a message to my attorney till he responds i would like couple suggestions and explanation .
If I was you ,I would wait for attorney to respond.I would not rely on advices from anonymous posters.

In the interim,google "garrity rights"

Last edited:

CdwJava

When the police conduct has been reported to internal affairs and the case is still pending, is it recommended for me to speak with the internal affairs division if they call me and want to question me regarding my complaint?
If you do not speak to IA, then you can expect the complaint to sort of die on the vine. Depending on the nature of the complaint they might still be able to proceed with it, but unless you submitted a rather detailed statement along with your initial complaint, they will have to interview you.

It's like a victim of a crime wanting to report it but refusing to give any info to the police. It leaves them little that they can do.

Additionally, state law includes a time line in which the agency has to investigate the complaint. If they get no cooperation from you, that time may pass and no action may be able to be taken.

I don't think it is but i want another recommendation and explaining to why. Will internal affairs use that against me if i say something wrong?
What do you think they will use against you? Are you going to have to confess to a crime in order to complain? If so, you had best speak to an attorney about the matter.

If all it will do is make you look like a jackass, then they really can't use that against you in any way. Though your behavior during the incident will certainly have a bearing on the evaluation of the reasonableness of the officer's actions.

CdwJava

If I was you ,I would wait for attorney to respond.I would not rely on advices from anonymous posters.

In the interim,google "garrity rights"
I believe the poster is a citizen asking about IA interviewing them on a complaint HE has lodged against an officer ... not that he is an officer (which would involve both Garrity and Lybarger - the latter being the most on point in CA).

If he is an officer, he has the right to representation during the interview whether it be with a union rep. or an attorney.

john39

I believe the poster is a citizen asking about IA interviewing them on a complaint HE has lodged against an officer ... not that he is an officer (which would involve both Garrity and Lybarger - the latter being the most on point in CA).

If he is an officer, he has the right to representation during the interview whether it be with a union rep. or an attorney.
I thought he was a cop.My bad.

grishid

Thanks for responses by attorney said I go ahead and talk to them and give my info (layered info) he said ur story is the truth so do it so I guess ill talk to them. He'll no I can't let that cop start harrasing ppl left to right and abuse his power that was given for him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">