• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sibling?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ph128

What is the name of your state? Indiana

In the event of the suspicious death of a sister, would the siblings have any rights to sue for wrongful death?
This situation involves possibly over prescribing Oxycontin!
The sister nearly was buried before the Coroner even found out about the death and the body was already embalmed before the autopsy and toxicology tests could be done which trashed the results.
No reason or manner of her death could be determined by the coroner!
Her doctor was a deputy sheriff before he became a doctor and worked for the Sheriff's dept. after he became a doctor for the jail.
The prosecutor is a young man and even though this case is highly unusual and codes have been violated, he refuses to investigate it further.
It almost seems like there is some kind cover up going on here!
Any advice would be welcome!

seniorjudge

Ph128 said:
What is the name of your state? Indiana

In the event of the suspicious death of a sister, would the siblings have any rights to sue for wrongful death?
This situation involves possibly over prescribing Oxycontin!
The sister nearly was buried before the Coroner even found out about the death and the body was already embalmed before the autopsy and toxicology tests could be done which trashed the results.
No reason or manner of her death could be determined by the coroner!
Her doctor was a deputy sheriff before he became a doctor and worked for the Sheriff's dept. after he became a doctor for the jail.
The prosecutor is a young man and even though this case is highly unusual and codes have been violated, he refuses to investigate it further.
It almost seems like there is some kind cover up going on here!
Any advice would be welcome!

http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title34/ar23/ch1.html

Read this over; consult with a personal injury attorney if you feel you have a wrongful death suit.

Ph128

seniorjudge said:
http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title34/ar23/ch1.html

Read this over; consult with a personal injury attorney if you feel you have a wrongful death suit.
We had several attorneys look at it and they all have said this case if one of the most bazaar situations they have ever seen!
They say since she has a husband, he would have to be the one to bring any suits but then again, he could be found negligent here!
He could be part of the problem!
When she died, she was at home and her husband never called 911. He called his friend, who happened to be the undertaker, who came over and got her body!
He did call her brother who notified the rest of us about her death and we were shocked as her death was not expected!
We asked for an autopsy to be done and both the undertaker and husband tried to discourage it but we insisted. The undertaker then embalmed her body before it could be done.
Meanwhile apparently the coroner's office found out about the death from the news paper people and stepped in and said they were immediately taking over!
The undertaker told them that they would find nothing! Apparently he was right, since he did such a good job of embalming her. The coroner said samples were totally contaminated. They could find nothing wrong with her physically.
The undertaker called her doctor and said she appeared to have died from natural causes and he said he would sign the death certificate! Without examining the body??
Now for the Oxycontin part!
The decedent had been on the drug for quite some time and was suffering from reactions from the drug but I imagine because of her developed dependency on it, she didn't complain.
We figured she was having reactions because she would call us sometimes and would slur her speech and on several occasions told us of what she called, having seizures. She said there had been occasions when her husband would come home and find her unconscious on the floor and turned blue! He never called anyone to help her! We became concerned for her and called her doctor to let him know what was happening to her. He said she was over medicated! This was about one year before her death!
We assumed he would intervene and get her under control or find something else for her restless leg syndrome because to me that stuff was going to kill her someday! She became angry that we called the doctor! I blame that on her addiction!
Apparently the doctor had ignored our information and must have increased her medication because the coroner was supprised at how much she was taking! He said something like 80mg, three times a day! I guess she was also prescribed muscle relaxers as well!
Now! Soon after her death, her husband moves in with another woman and we have learned there was sizable life insurance policies that were about to expire! I wonder how long that had been going on!
The duputy coroner who was working on this case has told us of his frustration of how this case was being handled by the police dept. When we asked the investigators what they were doing, they said they were waiting on the toxicology findings! They never even went into the home for 13 days and that was only to secure any unused narcotics.
The coroner said because of the tainted samples, he could not determine how she died nor in what manor but said she did have what appeared to be oxycontin in her stomach!
I wonder if the doctor was sweating bb's when the undertaker called him and told him about her death?
Because of the way everyone is connected here by friendship, It smells mighty rotten to us and we're finding that there is nothing that we can do.
Only the husband can and his "Scott Peterson" type behavior and insurance windfall doesn't smell any better!

seniorjudge

You need a lawyer to file a suit for you if you have any proof.

Google

indiana felonious heir

Reading the results will keep y'all off the streets for several days.

Ph128

Well for some sarcasm that may just have some validity to it, if you want to get rid of somebody, you could probably go to that county and off them.
I don't think the police detectives there would put down their coffee cups long enough to catch you!

seniorjudge

Ph128 said:
Well for some sarcasm that may just have some validity to it, if you want to get rid of somebody, you could probably go to that county and off them.
I don't think the police detectives there would put down their coffee cups long enough to catch you!
That stuff is much more common than you would ever think....

panzertanker

Ph128 said:
What do you expect???

You come to this forum, AFTER having already spoken to lawyers, and expect to have your biased opinions validated.

Not gonna happen. SJ already told you to look up the felonious heir rights, and to consult another attorney.

That is the best, and only correct, advice you will recieve...

Ph128

panzertanker said:
What do you expect???

You come to this forum, AFTER having already spoken to lawyers, and expect to have your biased opinions validated.

Not gonna happen. SJ already told you to look up the felonious heir rights, and to consult another attorney.

That is the best, and only correct, advice you will recieve...
Hmmm?
Biased opinions?
There are plenty of facts!
Even code violations being ignored by the prosecutor!
It takes money to motivate an attorney!
I thought maybe some of the smart boys or girls on this forum could come up with some other twist that may have been missing here but apparenty not!

seniorjudge

Ph128 said:
...I thought maybe some of the smart boys or girls on this forum could come up with some other twist that may have been missing here but apparenty not!....
Actually, you got correct and accurate legal advice; you failed to understand it.

Ph128

seniorjudge said:
Actually, you got correct and accurate legal advice; you failed to understand it.
From what I do understand, the attorneys are saying there is plenty of wrong doing going on with this situation, from the cororners report. We just aren't the ones who has a right to do something about it unless we could come up with $25,000! That amazed me too when he said we may not be able to file a civil suit but he'd take our money!
I don't want any money, I want justice for anyone who may be accountable!
There are a lot of dirty hands in this, I wish I knew what could be done to make sure sis was getting treated fairly.
The doctor needs to be examined closely here in my opinion. Who's going to die next if someone else hasn't already?
I've heard a nurse refer to him as "doctor feel good".
Any Ideas would be appreciated?

seniorjudge

Ph128 said:
From what I do understand, the attorneys are saying there is plenty of wrong doing going on with this situation, from the cororners report. We just aren't the ones who has a right to do something about it unless we could come up with $25,000! That amazed me too when he said we may not be able to file a civil suit but he'd take our money!
I don't want any money, I want justice for anyone who may be accountable!
There are a lot of dirty hands in this, I wish I knew what could be done to make sure sis was getting treated fairly.
The doctor needs to be examined closely here in my opinion. Who's going to die next if someone else hasn't already?
I've heard a nurse refer to him as "doctor feel good".
Any Ideas would be appreciated?
Contact the state's attorney general and the highway patrol/state police.

Again, let me remind you that you need some evidence, not just bad feelings.

panzertanker

Ph128 said:
I thought maybe some of the smart boys or girls on this forum could come up with some other twist that may have been missing here but apparenty not!
Without having all the facts of the case at our disposal, no one here could do that.
THAT is YOUR job, not ours...

You have a legal question: What should I do?
You got the CORRECT answer: Look up felonious heir rights and talk to another attorney.

Now, unless you have another LEGAL question; we are done.

zippysgoddess

And actually, regarding the Oxycontin, 80mgs three times a day is not unusual for people to be taking. They used to come in 160mg tablets until they quit making them because of abuse. However, tolerance to this med tends to build up very fast requiring higher doses.

Ph128

zippysgoddess said:
And actually, regarding the Oxycontin, 80mgs three times a day is not unusual for people to be taking. They used to come in 160mg tablets until they quit making them because of abuse. However, tolerance to this med tends to build up very fast requiring higher doses.
I suppose passing out and turning blue, having seizures are common acceptable side effects of Oxycontin too, huh?

There's a lot more here than I've pointed out!
Even the deputy coroner can't believe how this case was being handled by the prosecutor's office.
Code violations were brought to the prosecutors attention to be ignored!
I'm sure if the tree got shook up a little, some bad apples would fall out!
I just can't figure out how to shake it!
Small towns and tight circles I guess!

zippysgoddess

Acceptable, NO! Possible, yes! Especially if she took more than prescribed, perhaps two pills at once instead of one, or took them more often than they were prescribed. To do anything with this, you will have to be able to prove that the doc was overprescribing.

Oxy causes respiratory depression, so yes, some people do have a bad reaction to it, and others get these reactions if they take too much. If her dose was jumped, and not tapered up, then she could have had these reactions unexpectedly. For instance going from 20mgs to 80mgs instead of 30mgs to 40mgs and etc. IF the doc did this, then yes, he screwed up and should have known better. But as I said, you still have to be able to prove it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">